What do I need to start making Deep House and other sub-genres of House music?

bounce247

Hey guys. The instrument I will play would be a harp, and maybe a flute. And beat would be tambourine or cymbal. I would like to make Deep House music and other sub-genres of house. But I won't make it with piano or organ, I would use harp cos i like it more. and i want software that has harp built in as add-on or first when you get it. and is it worth signing up to ableton or pro tools or whatever? what software would be best for me, i dont want the best of the best because i dont need it. what do i need to get started. and any other info you think is worth me knowing. thanks for reading

My favourite DJ is maya jane coles.

Last edited:
Nice, I use a lot of harp and violin in dance music too, love the harp. I just love strings.

Anyways, all you NEED is a DAW. A full version of a daw will come with enough synths and samples to get you started. Demo some daws, watch some youtube videos comparing different daws, etc... The bottom line is all you need to get started right now is some sort of DAW then you can get going as soon as you get that by penciling in notes. You are obviously at the complete step 1 to starting, so you have a lot to do before you even start making music.

Do some searches on the forums there are tons of threads about what to do when you are first starting. If you just check the first few pages of this section you will find at least 4 threads im guessing.

Focus on the DAW first then if you need more harp samples after you get the Daw, thats easy.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Maya Jane Coles, but I am heavily into underground Deep House. With that said, I believe any modern DAW, especially with a decent sampler, would be suitable for all forms of Deep House. It is just a matter of preference and building a good library of sounds/samples.

As for me, I prefer Reason 7.0, but Ableton Live and Apple Logic are other popular choices. Try downloading some demos and see what works for you.

Damn so you guys are telling me I need physical instruments? I want built into software
Who told you that? nobody did.

what? DAW is software, digital audio workplace. It comes with built in SOFTWARE instruments.

You really are at square 1.

Last edited:
Who told you that? nobody did.

what? DAW is software, digital audio workplace. It comes with built in SOFTWARE instruments.

You really are at square 1.

Cool, so what tutorials should I start with? Also bar in mind I just want to play harp and flute so I don't want to spend time on other instruments that will not benefit me.

Cool, so what tutorials should I start with? Also bar in mind I just want to play harp and flute so I don't want to spend time on other instruments that will not benefit me.

what does that even mean? Do you really think you are going to be able to make the type of music you want to make by ONLY playing harp and flute?

Its fine to use those as lead elements but you cant make an entire deep house production using ONLY harp and flute...well I don't wanna say you cant, but be realistic here.

Why don't you start by learning the harp or a flute? using software is about being able to be versatile with your music knowledge and translate one instruments skills to another. Obviously you have no interest in that.

You don't want drums or anything? I don't think you really know what you are asking lol.

Last edited:
what does that even mean? Do you really think you are going to be able to make the type of music you want to make by ONLY playing harp and flute?

Its fine to use those as lead elements but you cant make an entire deep house production using ONLY harp and flute...well I don't wanna say you cant, but be realistic here.

Why don't you start by learning the harp or a flute? using software is about being able to be versatile with your music knowledge and translate one instruments skills to another. Obviously you have no interest in that.

You don't want drums or anything? I don't think you really know what you are asking lol.

There will be a beat but the leading instrument would be harp and for chorus the flute. and theres a keyboard... how do i press more than one key at a time?

Last edited:
You are honestly at the point right now where you are SO fresh that I don't even wanna start explaining things. You're asking questions that, once you start messing around with the daw, will become very obvious.

Im assuming you've never even seen the layout of a DAW before? You'll see what I mean by it doesnt matter which 'instrument' you want to play, the data translates to them all within your daw. You just need to select your sample.

Right now your first step is just go start doing some research on different DAWs and figure out which one you want. Don't put too much time into the decision, just get started with one researching then have your first demo downloaded ASAP so you can start trying. trying Demos are free.

Once you download a daw watch some basic tutorials on it so learn your way around its interface. Then start learning about how to understand music theory, notes, song arrangement, learning an instrument like I said will help HUGE, etc..The paths you could take after choosing your DAW are endless so worry about that later.

But in short terms your steps starting from now are

1.)Pick A Daw and get the demo
2.)Learn its interface
3.)Try making music on it until you realize that its not that easy
4.)Figure out your own path of learning how to do it, options are endless beyond this point. The next few months after this point will be overwhelming with the amount of stuff you need to learn. If its not overwhelming, something is wrong with your research.

You are honestly at the point right now where you are SO fresh that I don't even wanna start explaining things. You're asking questions that, once you start messing around with the daw, will become very obvious.

Im assuming you've never even seen the layout of a DAW before? You'll see what I mean by it doesnt matter which 'instrument' you want to play, the data translates to them all within your daw. You just need to select your sample.

Right now your first step is just go start doing some research on different DAWs and figure out which one you want. Don't put too much time into the decision, just get started with one researching then have your first demo downloaded ASAP so you can start trying. trying Demos are free.

Once you download a daw watch some basic tutorials on it so learn your way around its interface. Then start learning about how to understand music theory, notes, song arrangement, learning an instrument like I said will help HUGE, etc..The paths you could take after choosing your DAW are endless so worry about that later.

But in short terms your steps starting from now are

1.)Pick A Daw and get the demo
2.)Learn its interface
3.)Try making music on it until you realize that its not that easy
4.)Figure out your own path of learning how to do it, options are endless beyond this point. The next few months after this point will be overwhelming with the amount of stuff you need to learn. If its not overwhelming, something is wrong with your research.

I'm using FL Studio, and I'm messing around with plugins, how do I press more than one key? I downloaded some free plug-ins that has harp but I can't find any tutorials explaining how to use that interface.

I'm using FL Studio, and I'm messing around with plugins, how do I press more than one key? I downloaded some free plug-ins that has harp but I can't find any tutorials explaining how to use that interface.

You can use your keyboard as a...keyboard.. Or you can just pencil the notes in. Look up some youtube videos to do with "Fl Studio Midi Tutorial" or "Fl Studio Piano Roll Tutorial" something along those lines.

Basically your goal here is to be drawing in notes on to the piano roll with the pencil tool. Unless you actually wanna be playing in real time on your keyboard..Then do that.

I also love the harp. One day I hope to buy one and play it. I make Christian/secular music.

KVR: a good orchestral vst instrment? (Topic in the 'Instruments' forum) theres a link to kvr.

I suggest searching for an Orchestra VST and taking your time picking one out like one of the guys said in the post a linked you to. Each thing sits in the mix diiferently so pick something out after you get the skills to decipher how you want and will willingly choose to sound like. For instance, learn your DAW, like Ableton, for instance. It's great and comes with some M_audio Interfaces as a small version. But learn your DAW and how to make changes to some of the built in harps in Ableton and then pick out a better 3rd party VST later on down the road once you havea perfect idea of what you want. I really love Ableton and they have some decent harps maybe if not half bad. Call in to them and ask if on "their" harps they have real sampled ones. Or if they use a crappy synth like their own Tension. Tension really doesn't produce excelent finesse harps. Tension can't sound beautiful. Its a little rough.

So basically you can geta small version of Ableton Live with M_audio fast track interface. Learn Ableton for a year. Pick out a 3rd party VST on sale from places like PLUGIN BOUTIQUE or synthtopia. Or get samples and listen to sound packs at places like http://www.futureloops.com/type-... ..soundsets.php .....http://www.dancemidisamples.com/by-genre- ......http://www.producerloops.com/main.html ....Producer Loops, Producer Loops Sample CDs, Download Producer Loops, Producer Sounds ....http://www.dancemidisamples.com/by-genre-main.html GEt a midi keyboard one day on sale when one arises.

Then botta bing create some your very own music. Ive learned to wait to buy things on sale. Its wise you can get ahead easier.

I highly recommend Sylenth1 for house and trance, Synthmaster is good too but is classy and mellower. Its all in the mix and you need to know how evything will sound after you put it together. So theorize well and ask within. Ask your heart and for truth. Rapture is a contender possibly too. These are the best synths for the house that has been produced for the last 10 years. You can listen to the synth at those links at "soundsets".
Its important to know that sample packs are sounds ready to go. But on the other hand VST soundsets are for use if you own a synth of the same soundset offered. Its really great to learn from their demos what they sound like and their potential. Really fun to shop around and see what you could sound like. Those go on sale too.

Last edited:
I'm using FL Studio and watched a few tutorials, I know how to cut in piano roll. However I don't know how to make the notes smaller, when I create a note on piano roll, it is wide, and I have to cut it to make it smaller, how do I make it so that when I create a note on piano roll, it creates a very small note?

my piano roll.... the length of how much otes i can input is very long.... how do i make it shorter

Last edited:
I'm using FL Studio and watched a few tutorials, I know how to cut in piano roll. However I don't know how to make the notes smaller, when I create a note on piano roll, it is wide, and I have to cut it to make it smaller, how do I make it so that when I create a note on piano roll, it creates a very small note?

my piano roll.... the length of how much otes i can input is very long.... how do i make it shorter

Not sure FL specifically, but it has to do with your grid settings. Pro Tools has 2 grid settings, one for how much your note moves when you move it, and one for how big your note is when you first draw it. However you do it in FL, its just a matter of changing 1 grid setting. Like I said before, all these questions you have are SUPER BASIC things that you will figure out when you do a FULL TUTORIAL of the interface for your daw.

Don't even really bother asking any more questions until you understand your daw, because honestly they will probably be all reallllllly easy questions like that that you will just find out along the way anyway.

Just watch a full detailed (its not gonna be short) walkthrough video for FL studio overview or something. It will tell you all the basic stuff you need to know, rather than asking 5000 little questions that you will probably find out in the first 10 mins of the video. Not saying don't ask questions, I'm actually saying doing it the way I'm saying will be a lot more productive. Rather than waiting 3 hours to find out how to shortern a note you could have learnt the whole interface by now.

I'm finding really poor FL Studio tutorials.
You'll find a lot of those.

Honestly the best investment I have ever spent is 15 bucks on a 30 day all access pass to Learn Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and more - Training and Tutorial Videos there will be ALL the FL studio, producing, mixing, mastering info there that you will need. It will also make your (soon to be) endless search for information a lot easier because everything will be on one website. Will you will find to be hugely beneficial once you realize how much there is to learn.

Trust me when I say its the best 15 bucks you will ever spend. Ive had my subscription for 3 months now.

You'll find a lot of those.

Honestly the best investment I have ever spent is 15 bucks on a 30 day all access pass to Learn Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and more - Training and Tutorial Videos there will be ALL the FL studio, producing, mixing, mastering info there that you will need. It will also make your (soon to be) endless search for information a lot easier because everything will be on one website. Will you will find to be hugely beneficial once you realize how much there is to learn.

Trust me when I say its the best 15 bucks you will ever spend. Ive had my subscription for 3 months now.

Yeah that explains FL Studio 8 and 9. I have version 11. Do you have any midi file for me to inspect? That way I can learn how the notes work. I want to create this waterdrop sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvpiEilNbs&feature=youtu.be&t=2m15s

Last edited:
Yeah that explains FL Studio 8 and 9. I have version 11. Do you have any midi file for me to inspect? That way I can learn how the notes work. I want to create this waterdrop sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvpiEilNbs&feature=youtu.be&t=2m15s

It doesnt matter which version you have the interface basics will be the same..Thats all you should care about right now. A midi file isn't going to show you how to to design a water droplet sound, thats synthesis. You're getting ahead of yourself. Learn how to navigate around FL studio first and ONLY. Then go from there.

Don't learn how to shift before you even know how to turn the car on.

There are lots of free good publishers on youtube for FL studio..if you look they are pretty obvious. SeamLessR is one, if i remember right..There are tons. Its pretty obvious by their channels which ones are legit. Busy Works Beats is another good youtube FL publisher i think.

Heres the first video in a 3 video series by Busy Works Beats, its an FL intro for beginners, don't forget about the 2nd and 3rd videos. And don't expect to understand it all in 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7adP_lndqA

Last edited:
Back