What chords to use ?

slaik

Hi guys, i never took piano lessons that's why i'm a lil bit confused about the chords. I know some mains chords to play, but do you guys have some nice chords to teach me that sounds "hip-hop" ? I don't like to use that term, but of course some chords really don't match with hip hop songs..

I already google it, but there's tons of chords and i don't feel like they all match with beatmaking, do you guys have any help to give ? Thanks !

Hi guys, i never took piano lessons that's why i'm a lil bit confused about the chords. I know some mains chords to play, but do you guys have some nice chords to teach me that sounds "hip-hop" ? I don't like to use that term, but of course some chords really don't match with hip hop songs..

I already google it, but there's tons of chords and i don't feel like they all match with beatmaking, do you guys have any help to give ? Thanks !

Yeah, just keep playing the chords until something banging comes out. You just gotta do the work. You already know how to play the chords. Just play them over a beat until you get something that's more popping. That's how you make a hit record.

Its not the "chord" or "chords" themselves that establish a genre, its the context in which the chords are used, the way they're played, the alterations and extensions for added color, the voicing of the chords...I could go on. The thing is, there are no "hiphop chords", there are just chords that when used with other chords in a particular context give off a vibe associated with a particular genre [I-IV-V for blues, ii-V7-I for jazz].
If you know your basic chords, best to start learning chord progressions or better yet, here is a freebie:
G-7/C13 C7#5/FMaj7/E7#9 E7b9/A-7 A-13
NOW WITH AUDIO EXAMPLE:

If you can't do anything hiphop with that-you're a gay fish, sorry.

Last edited:
Extended-Piano-Chord-Chart.png
I'm not sure if this is every chord ever made and seriously doubt if these are all the consonant chords that exist on a piano but
I do know that these are a lot of notes to look at so I keep one of these around.

Integer notation makes this simpler, since all chords for a note can be found the same way.
0-4-7 triads, 0 being the root note then counting semitones.
0-4-7-11 quad or something notes

and minor is prolly 0-4-6/0-3-7/0-3-6 and random notes is just random notes.

Last edited:
I make 99% of my hip hop stuff in minor scales... Any chords, really. Just got to mess around until you find a progression you like.

Ok. I am not a musician either and i found a really cool way to do harmonies.
I use casio PT20 toy keyboard to write harmonies. It has 1 button chords and a few modifiers.
Great tool for non musicians.Highly recommend!

treasurepattern, aka Alexander Fedyushkin is a RAPIST! check it out at alexanderfedyushkin.com or just google Alexander Fedyushkin..

Back