what are some good recorders for foley and sound design?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
I'm trying to find the clearest sounding foliage detector i can find for under 300 bucks, this one looks tempting though

Zoom H2n Handy Recorder | Sweetwater.com

Im not sure how to describe mic quality but I'd prefer one that sounds good.like, if you were listening to music on your speakers, you'd want how they sound to you to be how the mic sounds.A mic that eh...hm...sounds like how you normally hear things when you arent wearing any audio devices.

First off, where are you recording foley? Inside or outside? This makes a huge difference in the equipment you'll need

If it's inside, you can use regular studio gear, maybe upgrade your mic. If it's outside, you need a different arsenal unless you're ok taking your studio equipment outside.

The H2n is an ok recorder, but shines when recording atmospheres and as a toss around/extra recorder. If you want good sounds you need a good recorder, good gain staging and a good mic.

Good mics for foley are going to run $500. They are some decent mics in the $200.00 range, but there is a huge difference going from $200 to $500 ad $500 to $2000. It's like studio recording mics, where your knock $200.00 sounds similar to a $1k mic. It's a different ball game.

Don't rely on a recorder internal mics, they are "ok" at best and require a lot of trial and error to find where the shine and there aren't many places where it does.

I make sounds for tv shows and what I'm using is a DR40 with a rode shotgun mic, I also have a Fostex Fr2le

Last edited:
The amount that i can muster is about 200-250.I plan on getting sounds from inside and outside,already made like 6 custom drumkits from synthesized kong but now i need samples, especially claps.That one in the link was the best one i could find but im holding off from getting it because i dont know what it sounds like.

if i can find a portable mic that sounds like...the best comparison i can give as if the mic should have a sound quality that would sound as clear as at least a dt770 or shuresrh440.

The amount that i can muster is about 200-250.I plan on getting sounds from inside and outside,already made like 6 custom drumkits from synthesized kong but now i need samples, especially claps.That one in the link was the best one i could find but im holding off from getting it because i dont know what it sounds like.

if i can find a portable mic that sounds like...the best comparison i can give as if the mic should have a sound quality that would sound as clear as at least a dt770 or shuresrh440.

To record quality material outside you're going to need a lot more than 200-250. an ok shotgun mic runs around 200-250 alone. You're mentioning that you need claps (recorded) you can do that with your current recording setup given you have a mic/preamp etc

Your portable mic explanation makes no sense to me. A good sounding mic is a good sounding mic and will translate on easy listening medium; headphone, monitors etc. All mics are portable. What are you trying to record outside? This will determine what mic you need

All mics in this field are meant for different things. It's completely different than recording vocals. The mic has to match the project for best results

Last edited:
the typical stuff, car's engine, birds, foot steps etc.and if it thunderstorms or rains i will definately find a way to steal nature's noise but i just have to be certain i can find a decent enough mic that can do that.

the only mic i have right now is my desktop's mic inside of it, voices are below average and no bass or treble clarity to be found.so i can not make desk kicks with that.

the typical stuff, car's engine, birds, foot steps etc.and if it thunderstorms or rains i will definately find a way to steal nature's noise but i just have to be certain i can find a decent enough mic that can do that.

the only mic i have right now is my desktop's mic inside of it, voices are below average and no bass or treble clarity to be found.so i can not make desk kicks with that.

For those sounds, you'll need more than the H2n and you will need more equipment

The H2n is best served as a interview and background sound (amb) mic/recorder. It can do a decent job in controlled environments, but not outside and it has no versatility unless you're willing into invest into a converter so you can hook up external mics

For what you want to do you'll need a Hyper/Super Cardiod mic and maybe even a stereo pair mic setup

Better mics = better detail

Here are some mics to look at
Rode Ntg1
Rode Ntg3
Azdens are pretty decent
Rode Nt4 Stereo Condenser

Rode IXY if you have an Iphone
not the best, but sounds are more than usable

These are dirt cheap mics in this field

Recorders
H4n - decent internal mics, and preamps
Dr40 - decent internal mics, and preamps

Cheapest I can think off that will give you what you need quality wise.

Things you might not have considered

Boompole
Wind blockers
Mounts

You'll also need noise reduction applications as outside recording is something you have little control over.

Last edited:
I've decided on the 80 dollar azdens(not much but it's 80 bucks, good starting point)shotgun mic.

thanks for that list also dude

Last edited:
One of those soundsuckers i keep seeing in sound design videos for cinema trailers and stuff.Luckily i didnt buy anything yet and instead looked at reviews for them showing how they sound, seems like cyko was right on the money.

the ones from 60-100 bucks sound good for talking but for everything it seems, from the review videos that they lack the quality needed for foliage and drum kit creation.looks like i'll either find a shotgun shure or that little portable h2n thing i was talkin about earlier.

In terms of recorders, the H4n (or DR-40), as mentioned, will be way better than H2n. The onboard mics are better and it has dual XLR in, so when you get a better mic you can go straight in and not have to buy a new recorder to use more than one external mics (and also not have to mess around with XLR to 1/8" adapters to record one external in).

although the design of the h2n is to my liking, a guy did a soundquality test for both the h4n and the h2n.
difference was noticeable, h4n seems to have more clarity, less noise and bass response.Yep, leanin towards the h4n.

Back