--> "Waves" Please help me! <--

T-Rez

Hey everyone, I just signed up for the forums and I am definitely liking what I see so far! I am 17 years old and just started producing, but I love constructive criticism and advice. I have been working on a track that I called, "Waves", and can't figure out how to finish it. Any advice on what I can add, subtract, etc? Thanks a lot in advance!

sounds good to me bro!
at 1:18 i think you can add a rising pad/synth
also at :45 maybe try simpler drums for a few bars like just the kick/snare
the melody is nice tho and that bass is sick!

The intro could be mixed better.I was trying to hear what was trying to be played in the background over that raise effect.Definitely work on the mastering and mixing of your tracks.There's potentially here for something real nice.Good job though.

Good job man, if you are 17 you will be a pro in no time...really put your mind to your daily lessons and practice, man you'll be top notch in no time...1-2 years you'll hear a phenomenal improvement.

I have no criticism in this case because it is very good considering your 'production' experience....clearly you have some musical ability...develop your engineering and music theory this year and next year you'll be thrilled, Its been about half a year for me producing, and i've improved 100 fold, at least thats how I feel anyway lol.

cheers

sounds good to me bro!
at 1:18 i think you can add a rising pad/synth
also at :45 maybe try simpler drums for a few bars like just the kick/snare
the melody is nice tho and that bass is sick!
Thanks a lot! I love feedback because I'm constantly doubting myself.

The intro could be mixed better.I was trying to hear what was trying to be played in the background over that raise effect.Definitely work on the mastering and mixing of your tracks.There's potentially here for something real nice.Good job though.
Thanks. I definitely know what you mean, I pretty much know absolutely nothing about mixing and mastering. Would I have to go to college to learn these topics in depth? I recently switched from FL to Logic Pro X and it is a lot more complicated to me. I have no idea how to use a lot of "common" plugins such as compressors and such.

◮CYAN◭;49754237 said:
Good job man, if you are 17 you will be a pro in no time...really put your mind to your daily lessons and practice, man you'll be top notch in no time...1-2 years you'll hear a phenomenal improvement.

I have no criticism in this case because it is very good considering your 'production' experience....clearly you have some musical ability...develop your engineering and music theory this year and next year you'll be thrilled, Its been about half a year for me producing, and i've improved 100 fold, at least thats how I feel anyway lol.

cheers
Thanks a lot! I have definitely seen my self improve over 10 months or so because I started at about 16 on FL. I was making rap beats (you can hear two of them on my SoundCloud) and the mixing was horrible in my opinion. The "melody" in one of them is extremely loud, and the other one has the bass overpowering the "melody", it sounds really muddy. But yeah, where can I learn music production topics like compressors, side chaining, eq, etc? I'm really eager to learn but have failed to find any info online.

my friend, everything you need to learn can be found on google, with the proper search terms.

Goto google or youtube and search...."logic compression" for instance....whatever you need to learn...search the specifics....

Its all about "keywords", so just type 'logic EQ'....and you will get the info you desire...

NO SCHOOLING OR MONEY IS NECESSARY....

Welcome to the World of FREE information my friend...just remember google is your best friend.

I've learned things practically overnight in many different areas of study thanks to the Internet.

Even music theory, you can learn from researching online.

Read, Watch, listen, and Do....Visual learning(watching it done) Audible learning(hearing it done) and Kinetic learning...(actually doing it)..

If you just study topic by topic...baby steps...bro you will be a master in 1-2 years if you apply yourself.

DAW's functions are all the same....I started with FL studio and yes its much easier interface for beginners....but just watching some logic tutorials...and producing for 1-2months with it, you will get the hang of how to navigate it!

I was the exact same as you just half a year ago...i got logic 9....but i picked up really quick with it(kinda frustrating in the beginning)....I just had to watch tutorials here and there to get more comfortable.

Just make sure you are learning from people that know what they are talkin about.....because there are a lot of amatuer tutorials out there that aren't that grreat, still informative though.

Art is imitation, so imitate those you look up to, do as they do, learn as they learned.....
NONE(ok few) of the top producers went to school for producing.....schools are for rich people who want to waste time spending a lot of money to be average...

Determined Wise people, Take for themselves what they want, when they want, how they want, as fast or paced as they want...

You can learn faster and more thoroughly if you really apply yourself daily, more than others...like really go for it balls out everyday.

I sleep 3-4 hours a day and work FT ....if i didnt have to sleep I wouldn't!
Did you know that people Sleep 1/3rd of their life!....thats 25 YEARS if you live till 75! 25 YEARS SLEEPING!

Stop sleeping so much! huge waste of time if you are a determined person. lol

Last edited:
Thanks. I definitely know what you mean, I pretty much know absolutely nothing about mixing and mastering. Would I have to go to college to learn these topics in depth? I recently switched from FL to Logic Pro X and it is a lot more complicated to me. I have no idea how to use a lot of "common" plugins such as compressors and such.

In all honesty,I've never messed with Logic X yet,I'm still using Garageband before the major update,and I love it.It's super simple to learn how to mix and master and I taught myself all of that.I'm going into audio engineering to learn this more in depth.Most people I see in the forums talk about using compressors and such,but I've never used anything but a simple E.Q. to master all my music.

◮CYAN◭;49754421 said:
my friend, everything you need to learn can be found on google, with the proper search terms.

Goto google or youtube and search...."logic compression" for instance....whatever you need to learn...search the specifics....

Its all about "keywords", so just type 'logic EQ'....and you will get the info you desire...

NO SCHOOLING OR MONEY IS NECESSARY....

Welcome to the World of FREE information my friend...just remember google is your best friend.

I've learned things practically overnight in many different areas of study thanks to the Internet.

Even music theory, you can learn from researching online.

Read, Watch, listen, and Do....Visual learning(watching it done) Audible learning(hearing it done) and Kinetic learning...(actually doing it)..

If you just study topic by topic...baby steps...bro you will be a master in 1-2 years if you apply yourself.

DAW's functions are all the same....I started with FL studio and yes its much easier interface for beginners....but just watching some logic tutorials...and producing for 1-2months with it, you will get the hang of how to navigate it!

I was the exact same as you just half a year ago...i got logic 9....but i picked up really quick with it(kinda frustrating in the beginning)....I just had to watch tutorials here and there to get more comfortable.

Just make sure you are learning from people that know what they are talkin about.....because there are a lot of amatuer tutorials out there that aren't that grreat, still informative though.

Art is imitation, so imitate those you look up to, do as they do, learn as they learned.....
NONE(ok few) of the top producers went to school for producing.....schools are for rich people who want to waste time spending a lot of money to be average...

Determined Wise people, Take for themselves what they want, when they want, how they want, as fast or paced as they want...

You can learn faster and more thoroughly if you really apply yourself daily, more than others...like really go for it balls out everyday.

I sleep 3-4 hours a day and work FT ....if i didnt have to sleep I wouldn't!
Did you know that people Sleep 1/3rd of their life!....thats 25 YEARS if you live till 75! 25 YEARS SLEEPING!

Stop sleeping so much! huge waste of time if you are a determined person. lol

Wow, that's crazy! Haha. A lot of time "wasted" spent sleeping. I'm definitely gonna keep grinding and focus on getting better so that one day I can [maybe] do this for a living. I think it would be really cool, but the industry, (specifically hip-hop), is crazy. My mom used to work in the industry, and she said it's a lot to handle. Thanks for the long informative apply, I'm gonna take everything you said and get started right away!

Back