Volume levels while mixing

andycii

I've been making some tracks with Logic lately and one thing I'm always unsure of is the volume levels. How should they look on each track?
I normally use headphones (I know I shouldn't but it's my only option right now) turned up 1/3 of the way on my computer.

The problem is my tracks (drums, leads, pads, etc.) always seem to have super low volume in the end. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I think it may have to do with compression but I'm not really sure.

It's strange cause the end result is always the way I like it when I play it in the car/headphones

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 6.34.32 PM.png

Track levels are the most fundamental form of mixing. Doesn't really matter how the look like as long as they sound as they should...

But usually the more tracks you have, the more shaping you need to do with EQ & filters - you can't have all tracks blazing on the whole frequency spectrum and expect it to be super loud; different instruments need their space. Compression is yet another tool in the kit, but it's a big subject on its own. Let's just say try to level out your tracks the best you can first, then start to worry about other things...

I've been making some tracks with Logic lately and one thing I'm always unsure of is the volume levels. How should they look on each track?
I normally use headphones (I know I shouldn't but it's my only option right now) turned up 1/3 of the way on my computer.

The problem is my tracks (drums, leads, pads, etc.) always seem to have super low volume in the end. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I think it may have to do with compression but I'm not really sure.

It's strange cause the end result is always the way I like it when I play it in the car/headphones

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

View attachment 44466

Are you mixing unsensitive stuff that you then monitor with loud volume on headphones that are open back high ohm low SPL? Your issue could simply be that the band is monitoring too quietly overall, which makes them too aggressive on their instruments. Try to balance this so that some stay more gentle while others stay a bit more aggressive.

Once you have recorded a good mix of sensitivity across the various sound sources, you have produced the kind of frequencies you need to be able to create a good gain structure. Try to work more on tracking, volume balancing and monitoring, and less on everything else. Also be aware of what frequencies are being stacked on the transients, try to find ways of lessening that so that you get a more gentle mix density. Keep it gentle and at the end do the gain staging at lower and lower volume. In other words do gain staging iteratively on lower and lower monitoring volume. I said it twice, but I think it's a good thing in your case. :)

Last edited:
Are you mixing unsensitive stuff that you then monitor with loud volume on headphones that are open back high ohm low SPL? Your issue could simply be that the band is monitoring too quietly overall, which makes them too aggressive on their instruments. Try to balance this so that some stay more gentle while others stay a bit more aggressive.

Once you have recorded a good mix of sensitivity across the various sound sources, you have produced the kind of frequencies you need to be able to create a good gain structure. Try to work more on tracking, volume balancing and monitoring, and less on everything else. Also be aware of what frequencies are being stacked on the transients, try to find ways of lessening that so that you get a more gentle mix density. Keep it gentle and at the end do the gain staging at lower and lower volume. In other words do gain staging iteratively on lower and lower monitoring volume. I said it twice, but I think it's a good thing in your case. :)

Ah so much technical talk here. So really what happens is I create the track and everything and then when I go to "master" it, everything becomes significantly louder so I always have to lower it. I use one of the presets Logic has to master the track which makes everything louder. Then I end up having to readjust all my track levels. So for a beginner, how would you recommend going about these volume levels? I just got a little confused by all those tech terms you used, but it seems super helpful

Be mindful of the equal-loudness contours as well. Basically the difference in perceived levels of bass and treble and different volumes.

Oh man, the forum software is sh... if using a mobile device with Windows. Typed a long but simple explanation and suddenly the screen starts flashlighting and all is gone away. It's 2015, it should be possible to use this forum with a mobile device. I'm sitting the hole day in front of screens in the studio so I'm happy when I put myself on my couch (in Germany it's about 12 o'clock pm now).

I found a video on YouTube which explains the thing in simple words, I hope it helps you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YdMwehSOM

Oh man, the forum software is sh... if using a mobile device with Windows. Typed a long but simple explanation and suddenly the screen starts flashlighting and all is gone away. It's 2015, it should be possible to use this forum with a mobile device. I'm sitting the hole day in front of screens in the studio so I'm happy when I put myself on my couch (in Germany it's about 12 o'clock pm now).

I found a video on YouTube which explains the thing in simple words, I hope it helps you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YdMwehSOM

Aw man that's frustrating. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out though I appreciate it. And this video really explained a lot, so thank you!

Take a mastered song and load it in your DAW. Turn it down anywhere in the ballpark of 12dB. That's how loud your final mix should SOUND before you put a limiter on it (ignore what the waveforms look like and what the peak meters say; it's generally not important with some exceptions).

Then I end up having to readjust all my track levels. So for a beginner, how would you recommend going about these volume levels?

I recommend that you go back to basics. If you have cleared the frequencies from mud really well with filtering, then you can actually take advantage of the remaining mud to make the tracks more cohesive. Then once you have all those frequencies in a round masked ball of sound, then when you gain stage and compress/limit the content, you can push it a bit more because it does not become this aggressive monster mix. But the end result is a big sound where the transients cut through just a little.

The issue in your case is probably that you are skipping past the filtering process much much too quickly. Spend enough time on that, really push yourself with it. When you are done with the filtering it should sound awesome, it should sound so good that you are almost ready to leave it like that due to how much you already like it.

In the middle of the process, you should not hear the transients of the bass line, the vocals, organ etc., it should be muddy. That's where that organic vibe comes from. Do not run away from mud, use it to your advantage.

I also recommend that you pan late rather than early. Try to rely on the pan knobs as little as possible for clearity, so that you can do as much as possible with them as late as possible.

In other words, keep the frequency lanes (L and R) as busy as possible, so that it helps to push you in the right direction with the mix.

At the end, do not add compression, remove compression.

This is probably the opposite to how you do it, hence that funky gain structure.

Last edited:
I recommend that you go back to basics. If you have cleared the frequencies from mud really well with filtering, then you can actually take advantage of the remaining mud to make the tracks more cohesive. Then once you have all those frequencies in a round masked ball of sound, then when you gain stage and compress/limit the content, you can push it a bit more because it does not become this aggressive monster mix. But the end result is a big sound where the transients cut through just a little.

The issue in your case is probably that you are skipping past the filtering process much much too quickly. Spend enough time on that, really push yourself with it. When you are done with the filtering it should sound awesome, it should sound so good that you are almost ready to leave it like that due to how much you already like it.

In the middle of the process, you should not hear the transients of the bass line, the vocals, organ etc., it should be muddy. That's where that organic vibe comes from. Do not run away from mud, use it to your advantage.

I also recommend that you pan late rather than early. Try to rely on the pan knobs as little as possible for clearity, so that you can do as much as possible with them as late as possible.

In other words, keep the frequency lanes (L and R) as busy as possible, so that it helps to push you in the right direction with the mix.

At the end, do not add compression, remove compression.

This is probably the opposite to how you do it, hence that funky gain structure.

Huh?

Back