Vestax R1

I manage to play around with one of these before. Man this thing sounds soooooo clean, before playing with it, I never really thought that a mixer can give out a big difference in sound quality but this thing is just amazing to listen to and rotaries are always fun to mix at, although I would still go for the rane, if I ever had a grand to burn on a mixer.

yeah, I tried it briefly in London last summer and it rocks like a muthahumpa. brilliant sound quality, the faders are smooth as buttah, and the overall feel is really classy.

two very different beasts there. it all depends on what you want, need and like. some people hate rotaries and the lack of individual channel EQ, some people (like me) don't mind. soundwise they're probably about the same (the Vestax might even be a tad better).

Last edited by a moderator:
u realise it actually has a pretty poor s/n ratio??? >75dB

i liked one when i played on it but didnt get enough time on it to notice its sound quality or form an opinion of it. but dollar for dollar. my money would go elsewhere.

yeah, I've seen that figure and it seems very weird. it could be that they've intentionally set a really low ratio just to be on the safe side. however, the R1 is the only other mixer besides Urei and Bozak that people like Shorty (Twilo, Stereo/Montreal etc etc) installs so it can't really be that bad, because those guys HATE clipping.

two very different beasts there. it all depends on what you want, need and like. some people hate rotaries and the lack of individual channel EQ, some people (like me) don't mind. soundwise they're probably about the same (the Vestax might even be a tad better).

Right, thanks, I was thinking soundwise of course...
The other differences are quite obvious and as you said, a matter of personal preferences.
:cheers:

I think that is a pretty attractive mixer for that price. $2000 was a joke. I am not going to get rid of the 2016 though...
-Peasant Nikon

mattu said:
yeah, I've seen that figure and it seems very weird. it could be that they've intentionally set a really low ratio just to be on the safe side. however, the R1 is the only other mixer besides Urei and Bozak that people like Shorty (Twilo, Stereo/Montreal etc etc) installs so it can't really be that bad, because those guys HATE clipping.

yah i know who those guys are. i thought for a moment that they quoted greater then 75 yet in reality its running in the 90's. but whats the point in doing that? it only makes ur product less attractive to joe consumer. maybe they want it like that tho. the installation engineers know what its like but joe bedroom with too much money gets turned off it.

Joe Bedroom will only go off and buy an Xone V6 anyway, because it's more expensive;)

about the vestax R1 mixer, i thought i'd post a few pictures of circuitry as there's alot of crap said about these mixers about built quality mainly from UREI & Bozak owners,These mixers are seriously high quality, & sound fantastic the pictures show the separate cards for each channel,high end SILMIC caps used thoughout,ALPS black beauty rotary faders etc IMG_0403.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0405.JPG

Back