Upgrading Audio Interface... Suggestions?

SOTAMuzik1

Pretty much I've had this Presonus Audiobox interface for several years but never really used it until now, (was never serious about music back then, just a hobby), but I'm looking into getting a better one. The sound quality from this thing isn't much of an improvement from the laptop in my opinion.

I'm looking into upgrading to a USB interface somewhere in the $200-300 range, I just don't know which one to get.

Sound quality as in A/D/A quality or preamp quality? That kind of price range is going to sound more or less similar to what you have now, and the improvements you'd get with a bigger budget are going to be subtle (inaudible, even, unless you already have a stellar monitoring environment). In my opinion, upgrading interfaces for "sound quality" at this level simply either costs a lot — or isn't really worth it. The things that matter are your monitors and the acoustic state of the room they're in.

The preamps is better on interfaces than default mobo ones but mobos still good too now.
I think the actual thing is how much effects can an interface take the load off without malfunctioning when paired with xyz cpu and ram/harddrive.

The preamps is better on interfaces than default mobo ones but mobos still good too now.
I think the actual thing is how much effects can an interface take the load off without malfunctioning when paired with xyz cpu and ram/harddrive.

Well, default mobo interfaces tend not to have preamps. Nor do they actually "take off the load" either; they're not DSP solutions. They allow the audio system to perform better in a real-time application, but it's not like your CPU will have more cycles to use with a nicer interface.

Sound quality as in A/D/A quality or preamp quality? That kind of price range is going to sound more or less similar to what you have now, and the improvements you'd get with a bigger budget are going to be subtle (inaudible, even, unless you already have a stellar monitoring environment). In my opinion, upgrading interfaces for "sound quality" at this level simply either costs a lot — or isn't really worth it. The things that matter are your monitors and the acoustic state of the room they're in.

Pretty much the Preamp quality. I have the JBL LSR305s and the acoustics aren't bad, but I'm ordering a couple bass traps and a few extra panels soon.

You might consider spending that money on a separate preamp then, and keeping the interface. That way you'd actually get something different/better.

In my opinion, Focusrite is the best of the affordable bunch of interfaces, with the best preamps and converters. My audio bud reviews equipment for a living, and he agrees. No doubt, RME and other brands have nicer stuff, but not in this price range.

I second the notion that the preamp quality is subtle. Most super expensive preamps don't impart fidelity so much as pleasing imperfection through tube distortion. Maybe I'll upgrade preamps someday, but that's a long time off.

And converters are also subtle. They could be important if your instrumentation and mixing is exceedingly organic, or if you make lots of roundtrips from digital to analog and back to digital for using hardware effects during mixing. There are conversion losses each time, even if your converters cost $4,000/channel.

In my opinion, unless you mix all of your effects from analog hardware effects racks, or unless you record high fidelity jazz or classical performances with natural reverb only, your interface is holding you back. The more synthetic your music, the less it matters over a baseline standard that it sounds like you already have. I'd consider improving your acoustics, work on better positioning your speakers, refining your low end, buy new virtual instruments, or possibly upgrading your monitoring.

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for a while but as I've been adding (and plan on adding more) hardware synths/grooveboxes/drum machines to my set-up, I'm looking for more inputs that the 2i2 affords...

I'm definitely passing over the larger focusrite offerings and leaning towards Roland's Octa Capture myself.
In this price range the Preamps and Converters are pretty much on par throughout manufacturers so for me it comes down to the stability of the drivers (on a Windows system).

If you have enough inputs already and you're happy with your converters current drivers then I'd second krushing's suggestion of an external preamp.
A used ISA-1 could be just the ticket.
But if you're after a bit of colour (make sure you pick the right kind of colour for your needs mind) the look at options from Warm Audio and Golden Age Projects which both produce very affordable, well received preamps.

So a preamp over a new interface? Okay. The ISA one looks a liitle bulky, but I'll look into other ones. Thanks for the info!

Back