Unsure about which MIDI controller to get

H

Hinojosa

Im looking at the Axiom 61(1st gen) the Axiom Pro61(1st gen) and the Axiom 61(2ndgen)
I like that the 1st gen has more buttons, so i can map more stuff to them when i use mainstage, the 2nd gen has over 10 buttons less, but the 2nd gen has directlink, but i dont mind mapping the controller to my DAW manually, the axiom pro seems to be a middle ground between this 2, what do you recomend?

I've heard a lot of bad things about direct link being confusing or not working right. I haven't had any problems with it myself but I don't use an Axiom either. My thoughts based on what you said is to probably get the Axiom v1

I don't like the keys either on the M-Audio keyboards.
I do love automap on the akais. I don't get those with my keyboard, I have a cakewalk a500 pro. I get automap from a novation remote zero sl. You can get the cool automap features from Akai keyboards as well anyway.
Did you try and feel out the keyboards in the shop to see what you like? That usually helps a lot. Also search the FP forum. There's a lot of posts out there about keyboards. There are also some lists out there of some brands you could check out.

Maybe I'm wrong but the numeric keys on the 1st Axiom are not midi assignable. I use a 2nd gen Axiom61 and it works perfectly, I don't know whether the Pro version worths the price difference compared to 2nd gen Axiom. Of course the best way is to try out a few models in the store and get what suits you best.

Im using an MPK49 right now and im adding more hardware but I been researching this axiom pro 49 for the past few days looking at reviews and videos...and the 2nd gen is by far the best just for the simple fact the directlink and auto map is superb. I use Reason 5 and there's a vid on YouTube that shows the 1st gen and 2nd gen differences on the auto mapping. Im definitely buying the 2nd gen to add to my collection.

I don't like the keys either on the M-Audio keyboards.
I do love automap on the akais. I don't get those with my keyboard, I have a cakewalk a500 pro. I get automap from a novation remote zero sl. You can get the cool automap features from Akai keyboards as well anyway.
Did you try and feel out the keyboards in the shop to see what you like? That usually helps a lot. Also search the FP forum. There's a lot of posts out there about keyboards. There are also some lists out there of some brands you could check out.
Ah sorry, I meant you can get the automap feature of novation keyboards as well.
With M-Audio it's directlink you get. I would advice against any M-Audio keyboard tbh. You can find some bad reviews about directlink as well. I just don't like how they feel. Novation keyboards just feel a lot better, but maybe that's very subjective.

A mate of mine wanted to learn to play keyboard/piano and he bought the Novation Impulse. That's a very very nice keyboard.
Things like the M-Audio oxygen have a very cheap plasic like feel if you ask me.

Last edited:
Back