Trap Production - How do I get my name out there?

ivann98

What's good fellow producers?

I've got a question for you all. I've started producing trap about 6 months ago. I'm loving it, I like producing beats and Logic is the program to work with for all that kind of stuff, at least in my opinion haha. Anyways, I've created a Twitter page, a Facebook page, a Soundcloud, and an Instagram. Is there anywhere else I can spread my music? Also, how do I get a following? And most importantly, where can I find rappers who will work with me? Or do they find me? I'm finishing High School at the moment, and I've got good grades and all, but I can't see myself working one of those normal jobs. I've gotta be a producer. I can't do that sh*t. I need to be able to build a career and get a deal before school ends, because I've gotta show my parents that I can actually make a career out of this.

I know lots of you guys are experienced in the music game, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Also, I guess this could help out a lot of people who are starting out their careers, and producing trap music in particular. I'm also guessing you get these kind of threads a lot, but I really need to know any tips you have. I don't wanna be stuck at Uni for four years studying mathematics. I wanna spend these next 4 years making music and money and making an income out of what I love.

Also, if you wanna hear some beats, here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/ivanpopovic

"Unstoppable" is probably the best track I've produced musically, but if you have the time, listen to "Trillionaire", it is chill af.

Anyways, thanks for the support in advance, and as I always say, keep it real! Keep it 420! ;)

There is very little money to be gained from music.

You would make more money by staying in school and getting a job than you would in music. You would make more money dropping out of university and becoming a bartender or barista than you would from music.

Where do you think all of this music money comes from? Most people have other jobs than music to support them.

I listened to the beats. While you have some potential to be a good producer, you're not ready. Work on making better beats for the next few years. 6 months making beats is barely anything. I'm 3 1/2 years in, and I just started finding success recently. Also diversify and don't just make trap beats. Dirty south/trap is probably the least profitable genre in all of music.

Last edited:
listen up kidd iff ur main goal is making money off music ,then your mindstate is wrong.
materialistic items can't purchase skills and experience, trust your gona need it, and iff u want to make it don't force it ,let it come naturally trust '

You wanna get your name out there?

Get with some local rappers / singers, and get them to record over your beats.

Best way to get your name out there is to DO WORK.

Beats mean nothing. Songs mean everything. So get with some people and MAKE SONGS, AND PUT THEM OUT!!!

Thanks for all the advice so far. My goal isn't just to make cash. I love music. Trap describes it all for me, the hood where I live, where I hang out, that's my trap. As for local rappers, I move around a lot. I'm in a boarding school. As much as I want to record with other artists, it's difficult. Serbia's not exactly that kind of place haha! I'll try the next time I get back I guess. But honestly, this is what I wanted, advice. Keep it coming!

Thanks for all the advice so far. My goal isn't just to make cash. I love music. Trap describes it all for me, the hood where I live, where I hang out, that's my trap. As for local rappers, I move around a lot. I'm in a boarding school. As much as I want to record with other artists, it's difficult. Serbia's not exactly that kind of place haha! I'll try the next time I get back I guess. But honestly, this is what I wanted, advice. Keep it coming!

There are aspiring rappers EVERYWHERE that yo uno...even in Serbia.

Hell, this guy is getting national attention...

I've been where you've are in life so, imma share some advice with you and maybe it can help you out.

Your beats are ok and you have potential though they still sound amateurish. Like I can tell you are new and made them on the computer. Hell I started making beats in high school by looping intros and fades on cassettes.

That's ok, because you have only been producing for six months, however, they are good enough to have someone rap on, you just gotta work on your arrangement and mixing more, but again that comes with practice. There is no magic number of time or years that it takes to become good at making beats.

Some people will say it takes years, however, you can get good fast or take longer. Don't take people's stories as law. Just because it took them x amount of years or so to become decent doesn't mean that those same rules will apply to you. But again it may not happen overnight, you still gotta work on your craft, but it will take some time, but it's up to you to determine how much.

It sounds like your family may have money, i'm assuming since you are in a boarding school. And if so, if i were you i would go to Uni. Even if you don't have money, go to Uni. Man, you can advance your skills in Uni and meet people who you can work with there, that's what I did.

If you don't have to work while in school, then Uni is like a 4 year vacation that will allow you to perfect you craft.

Imagine all the growth you can do in 4 years of just taking BS classes and making beats and songs. You can even go to another country in Europe for Uni and find rappers there. Use that time wisely because once you get to the "real world", as many of our fellow producers know, time to make music diminishes.

At Uni take a practical major, something you can fall back on in case you decide music may not be right for you. Or something that can make you some cash while you do music on the side. I'm not going recommend anything, but you'll know what you need to do.

Fyi, for my Uni path I knew music was my thing so I went balls in, i started out as a audio/video production major and became a radio dj, then later in life I got a business degree. I stopped making music years ago and now coach/play basketball for a living, so life and interests do change. Though I am slowly getting back into music as a hobby again.

J.Troup has some great advice, you gotta make songs man. Just making beats ain't good anymore. Find some local guys and get to work. Hell I started out reciting spoken word over my beats just to get used to making songs. Songs will show how versatile you are. Don't just be a beat maker, be a music producer.

I hope this helps. Music is like sales, you gotta build hype, so that time in Uni could help you out, especially if you don't have to work, even if you do, you can still build a following. but you'll have a lot of time to use to practicing and building up a fan base. good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone, especially to funnymoney. I've found someone to work with, might produce a song this time. As for the beats, I suppose that will come with time. You should have heard my first songs, now that I listen to them I laugh haha. I have thought about this for a long time, and have made my mind up like this; I am going to do both music, and maths, which is what I am focusing on for uni. I'll keep the grades up, and at the same time, build hype on social media, and other platforms, and meet more rappers, etc, work with bigger and bigger people. If I manage to make a decent career by the end of high school, I'll go on to do that. If not, I'll go to uni, and continue this. Thing is, a maths degree is not exactly laid back... But I don't really have a choice. I guess that's what life's about, sacrifices. It's either one thing or the other. I'm just worried if I take the route of uni that I may never be able to pick up music again. But yeah, this is my choice for now. Thanks for all the advice again, I guess it cleared up a lot for me hearing from people who have been in the game for several years. Most of all, thanks for being real about it, I did't want some bs answers, I wanted the truth. I respect that a lot.

Anyways, I suppose that's the end of the thread unless someone's gonna add something, so yeah, keep it real, keep it 420.

Some producers are making alot of money but that comes with "consistent spending on promotion" and a solid fan base with lots of repeat custom. If you're willing to put in hard work, perfecting your craft and investing then you can do it. I'd suggest learning about marketing too. Most new producers "spam" everyone then wonder why no body takes a moment to check out their music. Trap and dirty south are popular genres. You can find lots of trap rappers on twitter and soundcloud. Learn which paid online promo then look into that too.

Back