Traktor Scratch Duo 2 or Traktor Scratch Pro 2 vs. Serato SL3 or SL4

latinbala4sho

Okay, so here's the deal:

I used to DJ in high school and want to get back to djing some house parties and little gigs. I'm not really doing it for money and am more getting back into it for leisure. When I started, I used cds, and my setup is kinda strange at the moment (One Numark CDX, old i know, and one Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk2, Pioneer DJM-707, Pioneer EFX-500).

I currently have a 4 year old Sony VAIO computer loaded with tons of programs. I was wondering (based on my circumstances, dj equipment, and computer) you guys think would be the best setup for me?

As I mentioned before I have 2 CD decks, but threw in SL4 and Scratch Pro into the mix if I wanna expand to more than 2 decks, but what is your opinion on which is the better 2 deck system for the price and the better 4 deck system for the price?

Can Traktor record sets? Does Serato have as many FX Sample drop capabilities as Traktor?

Let's get into it.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave-

If your going the vinyl route, I suggest Sarato. However, I am very fond of Traktor due to the vast possibilities through customization. There is no right or wrong...just research.

+1 Definately Traktor - if you have a lot of patience (horrible customer support for some, from what I understand but this has not been my experience with them).

Then you have acouple of options. If you want to have the classic turntable feel you can use scratch version that uses timecode vinyl on real turntables to control the playback functions. But a controller with jog wheels, such as the denon mc6000 (my personal choice) or a NI S4 are pretty nice. Basically boils down to whether you do a lot of scratching (scratch pro would be better perhaps) or long technical overlays (controller is great for this type of dj'ing).

As far as seratio being the standard like the technics were: The technics were the standard worldwide but in the case of traktor vs serato, serato only hold that title here in the U.S. while traktor is more popular in europe. In the case of the technics is was a quiestion of quality whereas with traktor vs. serato has a lot more to do with marketing. But it really boild down to personal choice. With the technics they were already installed in most clubs and you usually would bring along your records only. These days you bring your own controller and macbook (or whatever) and hook into the PA, so you have the option of playing on whichever you prefer... Essecially there is no standard anymore.

I personally prefer traktor for it's extremely complex mapping options and ability to tailor your interface to your exact style of mixing. That said, a good portion of users don't understand or have the ability to do complex mapping required to make things work perfectly...

Back