TR-707 vs TR-909

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do understand why people buy these machines....I want them too. But just for the nostalgic value and nothing else.. The 808 in itself does not contain very `bangin`kicks if you ask me. When it was used during the 80s, the drums werent bangin like some are today. I really dont understand why 808s are the samples people opt for when they need bangin drums...A 808 kick by itself, a stock one, is extremely weak. If you play it at high levels, sure, its very punchy, but not more than the 909...Most of the 808s used in beats today, sound nothing like the original samples. I always found it funny why the 808 is thought of to have the BANG factor, when IMO the stock drums are insanely weak...

rant over lol...

These days it's damn near pointless to buy a 808 or 909... there;s so many good sample packs of sounds that you can easily replicate having those bits of gear with just a sampler... They are nice drum machines, but why in the hell anyone would pay over $1000 for one is beyond me... The Jomox 888 and 999 are cool machines, but it's the same situation.. is it REALLY worth the money? I guess so, if you have deep pockets and must have all the new toys. To be honest, a Korg ER-1 mkII electribe is probably the best value in drum machines right now...

I think if you want a good emulation of a 808/909 in hardware form then one of the best ways is to rig up a novation drumstation to a korg ER1 via MIDI(almost like a original tr but for a lot less!!!!). You can get all the original sounds plus more!!!!Am waiting to get a drumstation myself, cant wait to din sync it with my 909!!!!

my experience and opinions

Hi folks! Just wanted to share my experiences with drummachines, as I found some statements I don't really agree with, and some I do agree with. First of all, I would NOT recommend the electribe r mkl or ll as a replacement for an 808 or 909. To my ears, it sounds bland, digital, and somewhat like a toy. Also, certain sequencer features are missing, like flams and rolls. Quite overrated, I'd say. The drumstation is only good as long as you haven't heard the originals. Then it too becomes somewhat toyish imo. Using electribes to sequence modules in order to emulate the classic tr's is not such a good idea imo. Their 'funk' is missing. Something about timing and quantization that simply isn't there.
Also, I don't understand why people talk about 808's being 'hard' or 'banging'. Imo it's the 909 that BANG!s, whereas the 808 BOOOOOM!s I've yet to come across a machine that can booooom quite like an 808 or BANNNGGG like a 909. But the --base series from jomox comes really close, and sometimes outshines the originals with their extended parameters and features and crazy snappy vca's. A truly slept upon classic is the roland r8. The 808 booom that comes on the 'electronic' soundcard is quite fabulous, and there are many more editing capabilities than the originals. With the decays pushed to the max, a simple kick gives you bass for 30 seconds or something. No kidding. And that's a BOOOM that takes up SPACE! It doesn't have a step sequencer though, which might put off some electronica heads. However, it's mpc/sp12/00 pad-driven sequencer is heaven sent for all urban-type music producers. It's cheap, has tons of professional features, has 8 separate outputs, has superb touch-sensitive pads and sounds great! It's also fantastic as a drum sequencer for external modules. Buy an r8 and an akai s950 or e-mu emax and you're in mpc 60/sp1200/808 heaven. Word.
The best and cheapest 808/909 emulation is a jomox airbase 99 controlled by a yamaha rm1x imo. The total cost of that package should be approximately 800 usd, and then you get a helluva lot more than what you bargained for. The rm1x is a fantastic stand alone sequencer for all kinds of uses; I use it as my main sequencer for all my synths and samplers, it clocks my drummachines, and I record all knob-movements into it. Absolutely fantastic value for money on the second hand market. Can be had for as little as 300usd. Indispensable for live and studio use; I don't turn on my computer anymore, unless when I'm recording audio. Great stuff.
To summarize; if you want to make bangin' tracks, stay away from the old electribes and novations drumstation. They simply scream 'emulation!!!'. (I can't comment on the two 'new' electribes, as I haven't had much experience with them. My gut feeling tells me 'stay away!' though...) Jomox airbase 99, roland r8 and yamaha rm1x is the way to go if you need BANG!, BOOM!, SLAP!, CRACK! and hands-on FUNGK! You might even use an mbase 01/11 instead of the airbase if all you need is a versatile analog kick. I believe you would do well to take heed to my advice, as I am an audio fascist... -: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back