To all of the adults with kids out there...how do you find time for making beats?

TagYourBeats

3 Beat Tags = JUST $15!!
I hope this is the right forum...I've seen similar posts not music related in here. Sorry if it isn't.

I'm just reaching out because I'm in this predicament myself at the moment.

I'm 28, married and we have a 9 month old baby/toddler (I refuse to accept that she isn't a little baby any more!)

My problem is I'm finding more and more that my time is being used for things that, in all honesty, you would expect. Working my ass off at work, DIY around the house, visiting family, running a few online businesses to try and free up some money, family stuff...life in general, really!

For those in a similar position, how do you cope with this? Realistically I can probably spare a few hours on a weekend which I will be doing now that my music set up is unboxed, but it would be interesting to hear how those in a similar position find time.

Don't get me wrong, I love my life and am happy with the decisions I've made...it would just be nice to be able to crank a few more beats out, you know?

JC

I was in this very situation a couple of months ago (before my divorce) and I started going up to bed later during weekdays and using the 1-2 hours of my child's sleep to work as well, during weekends.

Now I don't have this problem anymore, though.

I've got an 11 year old stepson (he was 4 years old when I first started seeing my wife) and a 5 month old baby boy.

Before the baby was born I was putting about 20 hours studio time a week in; mostly evenings when I got home from my full time job.
Right now I'm getting about 4 hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon as evenings are a no go (in part because of access to the attic which is in our bedroom; where the baby currently sleeps).

You definitely have to use the time you get productively when there's a baby in the house.
My quantative output is definitely down since Alex was born but my workflow has dramatically improved and my quality is up from where it was.
Essentially, I do a lot less dicking about (Internet/1000s of kicks/messing with synths - and then not using them/etc) during a session than I did before and am a lot more focused on the task.
If I only have a short amount of time I'll do an exercise like 'Drop the Needle' which is probably a major part of my workflow improvements.

Work quick.

Very good question....it all depends on you. You just have to balance everything. It's going to take some sacrificing but it all depends on you.

As I'mNoGuru said, work quick
it will help you a lot.
be objective, try to think of what you gonna do during The daytine, Then when you open your daw, you'll know exactly what to do. For this, try to listen a lot of Music during The Day. I noticed that my productions are much much better after I started to follow this steps

and most important: Know your equipament, and how to work with it effectly

Last edited:
Back