Tips for builidng a DIY music production PC

Good base article. I just built a new system for myself and inadvertently did everything this said without reading this lol. Even down to grabbing an ASUS mobo. (Rampage IV Formula). That was pretty funny.

Only thing is leaves out is that 1) the computer case is much more important than you think..... 2) a good heatsink is a good idea so you protect your investment and you can overclock your CPU a few notches up without losing stability, so you're getting the most out of your money.. and 3) it's a good idea to have multiple drives.

In regards to the computer case... first, it's gotta be big enough for whatever motherboard you're putting in there. If you're putting in a water cooling kit (great investment)... and a PSU (lots of cables) you need enough space to fit that stuff. Hopefully it has some cable management so you can tuck away cables... b/c airflow inside the case is important to keeping the CPU as cool as possible and the system stable. Lastly, a quality computer case can block out a lot of the noise coming from hard drives and internal fans.... and even keep dust out!

The best case I landed on for the job was a Fractal Design XL R4. Amazing case.. at an amazing price of $129. Can't be beat. And it's a tank.

Last edited:
Back