Time to buy a preamp: Focusrite ISA VS BLA Auteur

JLD

Hello all! This is my first post, but I've been reading up on this forum for quite some time now. I've done the search for preamps and it seems like mostly everybody here recommends the Auteur (I even read obi's page comparing the Auteur).

I mainly record myself and a female singer. I mainly do hip-hop and RnB. Here's my current equipment for recording:

- 2 PCs - 1 quadcore and 1 hexacore.
- Pro Tools M Powered
- ProFire 610
- PreSonus FireBox
- Korg D3200 (I rarely use this)
- Sterling Audio ST77 mic
- Audio Technica AT4040
- Behringer B2 (Yeah this was my very first mic from 5 years ago)

I just want to get an idea which one you guys think is better. I'm leaning towards the Auteur. I've also read up on here and on gearslutz about which preamps you guys recommend in the $500 range and it seems like everybody has had nothing but great things to say about the Auteur. The reason why I'm looking at the ISA and Auteur is because of how much I can purchase them for (around $350 each). I just don't know which one to pick. If necessary, I'll go up to $500-700 to purchase the Grace Design. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Two different flavors. The Grace is very very clean. The auteur is clean but also has some mojo to it because of the transformers. I have samples on my site of the Auteur and for 350 used (what I paid) its a great deal and hard to pass up on.

Last edited:
Your shootout pretty much had me leaning towards the auteur obi. I just haven't read too much info on the ISA one. Or should I just go big and get the grace design m101.. Decisions decisions... Lol. Just wondering though obi, do you have any samples with vocals? I could've sworn there was a topic where you linked a sample of vocals with it. I just don't remember where.

No I'm sorry I do not have any vocal samples. Its harder to do a shoot out with vocals. I'd have to have all 3 set up at the same time with the same mic through each pre placed close together. Otherwise each vocal performance can be different and I don't have 3 of any mics.

Oh ok. Looks like I'll be getting the auteur for $375. Thanks obi. Your replies and the shootouts are one of the reasons I decided to expand my vocal chain and get the auteur.

Sweet! You won't regret it! Sometimes I feel like I can sell the Auteur and get by without but really I love the sound this small pre packs. :)

TLDR: A++++++ WOULD BUY AGAIN!

Back