Timbo and Missy speak on Drake/Aaliyah situation

Maybe Aaliyah's family don't want to do business with Tim and Missy, could be countless things.

Drake doesn't have to bow down to Tim, Missy, or X....but he needs to respect them enough to atleast communicate with them in the beginning. If he would've done that....nobody would be talking about this....Well actually, yes people will be talking cause they don't like Drake but they wouldn't dislike him as much as far as this situation is concerned.

I think the problem is Drake has been saying stuff about him and 40 making an album, but 40 doesn't even know what's going on and thought he was just doing one song.

If the nigga you said you was making the album with didn't know that he was making an album with you, you ain't keepin shit 100

Last edited:
Sounds to me like that same talk of "marrying Nicki Minaj". I thought that from the beginning though. As an artist, you can often want to wish things into fruition and it simply doesn't occur. That's not saying he isn't working on an Aaliyah album, that's saying he's probab;y getting alot of stuff together still and it hasn't even gone thru all the steps needed for him to begin reaching out to people.

I never followed the story hard in the 1st place, so I'm not sure what all he's said, I could be waaaayyyy off.

Sounds to me like that same talk of "marrying Nicki Minaj". I thought that from the beginning though. As an artist, you can often want to wish things into fruition and it simply doesn't occur. That's not saying he isn't working on an Aaliyah album, that's saying he's probab;y getting alot of stuff together still and it hasn't even gone thru all the steps needed for him to begin reaching out to people.

I never followed the story hard in the 1st place, so I'm not sure what all he's said, I could be waaaayyyy off.

Well there's already at least one song recorded.

I shouldn't really judge from one song, but it sounds like Drake is making a Drake album ft. Aaliyah.

^^^What I'm saying is, even from that song, I don't get the idea he's supposed to be responsible for an entire Aaliyah album and has even gotten to the steps where reaching out to others becomes an option. You need budgets, projections, backing, ect. before you make calls to people and start setting up sessions to put out an album.

I don't think he's even got there yet, but think he may have been excited and started talking too much too early. If he already had all that, by now he'd be 6-7 solid songs in probably, he was talking all that stuff months ago. Once you get the flag, albums are usually done quick. You can get slowed down by labels passing on songs or wanting things redone, pushing back to promote harder, ect, but I'm doubting this album is even close to running it's coarse, so why would he be "reaching out" already. Timbo just got a call according to the interview, that was probably when it was time to call people, lol.

Maybe Drakes actually investing in the album(he is a die hard aaliyah fan)and that's why he got that exec producer title. All i'm saying is, it's nothing concrete as of yet, just 1 song. Is it even on iTunes? Again, I've paid none of this attention.

im not a fan of drake, maybe he feels he doesnt need to reach out to missy or tim...but as a man and having the utmost respect for somebody that he supposedly has for aaliyah, he should or did, i dont know but he should reach out to aaliyahs fam before any song was made or album...if that didnt happen or doesnt happen...than i think a lot of backlash will come squarely on him, as it should

If you want to pay your homage to Aaliyah, you at least contact people who knew her to try to stay true to her artistry.
I still think it's a b*tch move from Drake.

It's like someone trying to write a story about you without really knowing you...

IMO Drake doesn't have respect for the deceased. He's just saying that so he can get a pass. He did the same with Mac Dre. The Motto video was allowed off the strength of Mac Dre's name and the cooperation from other Bay legends. The line "RIP Mac Dre, I did it for the bay" was changed to "RIP Mac Dre, I did it for LA" when he performed in NYC. That's some disrespectful shit. And then he releases a "Aaliyah song", and the whole thing is about HIM. The ****?

If you want to pay your homage to Aaliyah, you at least contact people who knew her to try to stay true to her artistry.
I still think it's a b*tch move from Drake.

It's like someone trying to write a story about you without really knowing you...

You don't understand the "business" side of the music business.

The only people that Drake needs consent from are the owners of the Master recordings and the Publisher of the recordings. Nobody else is relevant. If Timbaland and Missy and whoever else cared so much for Aaliyah, they should have bought the rights to Aaliyah's catalog and held on to it. They could of at least purchased the catalog and given it to Aaliyah's family.

These dudes are full of hot air.

You don't understand the "business" side of the music business.The only people that Drake needs consent from are the owners of the Master recordings and the Publisher of the recordings. Nobody else is relevant. If Timbaland and Missy and whoever else cared so much for Aaliyah, they should have bought the rights to Aaliyah's catalog and held on to it. They could of at least purchased the catalog and given it to Aaliyah's family. These dudes are full of hot air.
I know that but you have to have soft skills in business too. Business is not only a legal battle over ownership of the masters. Plus I was also refering to the artistic side of things. You want to produce Aaliyah without being able to get her input and without knowing her ? Well in that case, you have to involve people who knew her as an artist best... if they decline or are an impediment...since you have ownership of the masters, you can still tell them to get lost...I'm talking about the whole project here.(other than that, watch your mouth please before saying that someone doesn't understand something... just a free piece of advice :) )

Last edited:
I didn't like the song that was linked on page1.

I haven't been following this but is Drake planning on taking some old Aaliyah songs, put a new beat to her vocals, rap on it and make it sound like a collab?

Why? #flamesuit_on I liked some of her stuff but I think her death put her on a higher musical pedestal than warranted. #flamesuitoff

Find something out everyday. I just took it for granted that Timbo or Missy would have bought up her catalog from the jump seeing how they all seemed to be close plus it only make sense if you think the artist who died catalog was going to be worth money or you wanted it protected. Diddy would have. Actually I'm surprised her family didn't try

Maybe Aaliyah's family don't want to do business with Tim and Missy, could be countless things.

exactly, didnt the record label reach out to Drake and not them? Theres a reason for everything.

Exclusive: Drake, Missy, Timbaland? Blackground Clarifies Rumors Swirling Around Aaliyah Album (Update) | Billboard.biz

the record label wanted Drake & 40 to do a lot of the records, and not Timbo & Missy, its a new day and age and everything is about money. Who is gonna sell more records and get more usage out of the songs? Drake who has a younger audience who may not have been around when Aaliyah was alive, or Timbo & Missy who will drop some dope records but go unnoticed

people just dislike drake, so everything he does is under a microscope

of course the Blackground rep said that Timbo & Missy would be involved because he aint wanna hurt egos or feelings, but them niggas aint gonna be involved because they dont want them involved for whatever reason. Or maybe they do want them involved and they know that Timbo & mIssy would turn it down

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

but people think Drake just woke up one day and said "oh i somehow someway have access to the masters of all these Aaliyah recordings, let me go work on an album"

Drake worked with TImbo on his first album, and drake worked with timbo on Timbs album, Drake the same guy that gave Mannie Fresh & Juvenile Publishing on a cover record that he did on his last album when he didnt even have to. Ya'll dont know Drake so ya'll dont know how much he loves music as an artform

ya'll just dont like him, so its like "oh he did something controversial, **** that soft nigga, hes lame"

when in reality i know for a fact that if TImbo & Missy were down he'd let them be apart of it. They dont OWN Aaliyah anything, so they cant feel salty if Aaliyahs record label ( who is her family) want to make some money off her old music

Back