Things to consider on your first gig?

Antistyle

Hey guys, I'm a newcomer in the DJ'ing scene.

What are some important things to take along your first gig?

Last edited:
Depends on your setup. Backup of music (music on your ipod, cds etc) incase everything on your setup goes out you can plug that it and keep the party going.
Headphones, adapters needed.

BEST thing to do (this is a pain but if it's your first gig it's worth it)

Completely break down your setup and set it up somewhere else (even better if you can take it to the gig and setup) test it out and make sure it all works, then break it down and set it back up at your house (wherever you keep your setup).

This will give you TWO practice runs and you will realize what you might need backups of - if you can get to the gig early DO IT. I've had plenty of gigs saved because I got there early and realized what i forgot.

ALWAYS better to have MORE than less.

I would clean your computer. Meaning run system utilities to defrag or repair disk permissions or repair disk depending on your computer. Have adapters and cables. A good idea is to have a semi-large collection of the songs you plan on playing on your phone or backup ipod. Have a 1/8 to RCA cable so you can easily connect in case your computer crashes.

TURN OFF WIFI. I've never had any issues with this, but I also have it off regardless. Disable any programs in the background you won't be using, like iTunes or Microsoft word. If you have your own mixes, preferably 30min to an hour long, play those if your computer needs to reboot. That way the transitions are smooth and people still can enjoy non-stop partying.

Bring comfortable shoes since you will be standing a long time. Some podiums or decks are shorter or taller. This will affect the way you stand over your decks. Which in turn will affect your spine.

Very very nice thread!!! Gratz. I think that all the above are right(on the hardware-software section) Don't forget to be a dj! Don't afraid to look at your audience! People around you will smile, look or talk at you :cool: be nice with em! Hmmm DON'T WEAR SUNGLASSES! If you try lot of times to cheer your audience and they doesn't accept your music, just smile, find a nice way to entertain em

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So i'm currently using Traktor (software) and a NI Audio2 as my sound card.
What cables should I get as a backup? 1/8 RCA?

Nice thread man, the advice about computer maintenance before a performance and killing background apps and processes is going to be really useful. I'm going to be DJing during a rap performance next weekend and I really don't know how to configure software to do what I have in mind. I have a custom MIDI controller that I built and want to trigger each beat to play all the way through with a button. I also have 16 pads which I'm going to use to trigger vocal samples and ad libs during/between songs. I know this is pretty common but I can't figure out how to do it in FL studio. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to not look like the random guy just standing there playing songs?

Back