Theremins

C

Cardboard

Any body had any experience with them? Can you input any ound souce through them? If so, does the source sound "normal" without any hand manipulation?

I had a play with one in a used gear shop. It has no kind of audio interface. You could record it with a mic.

wait... what are you asking exactly?

theremins are not filters... they are instruments that produce sound. you record them like you record a synthesizer.

some of them have CV OUT to control analog synthesizers using CV (its a bit like midi but uses voltage to control pitch)....

i posted an AMAZING video performance from 1950's (!) a while back... ill dig it up again to show you.

noblewordz said:
I had a play with one in a used gear shop. It has no kind of audio interface. You could record it with a mic.

wait... most theremins have audio out to plug to an amplifier or mixer/daw...

maybe you've tried one of those cheap "hand-made" toy ones with a built-in speaker...

Last edited:
DonaldCrunk said:
if you want something that's 'air controlled' for effects, their might be some Alesis "AirFX" floating around out there still.

the AirSynth was kinda cool too.

I have the Airsynth and it has some theremin sounds (along with drum loops, static, and a whole bunch of other cool noises). There is an audio in but it does not process the audio in, it is a bypass.

The airfx is an actual effects process ala the Kaoss pad.

that's what i've been told as well. shame they couldn't route the input of the airsynth into any effects.

but, for the price, if you want ridiculous motion control stuff, those things can't be beat. they're pretty cheap now, if you can find them.

Well, what do you know ... SOME Theremins are filters as well.

Here is one Theremin that has a Ladder style filter build in (cutoff frequency is controlled via the antenna !)

Go and check it out: Midi Theremin to buy This is the coolest Theremin yet !

It also has a theremin controlled Ring Modulator and ... wait for it ... MIDI :) :) :)

But that's not all this beast has to offer :)

Back