The Producer laundromat

Traxx1

Boss.
I found this text file on my pc from a post made here a while back..

It was called "The Producer laundromat". I couldn't find the original post to link to but I still think this is a good read so check it:

Most young aspiring producers nowadays want to become "full time" producers because of the desire to make their passion / their hobby, a well paying career. I get it. What most of them fail to take into consideration is that when your passion becomes a career, it becomes work, and because of the nature of work, your passion may die, and then all your left with is a job. And as you know if you've ever worked at a job that you hated, it can become empty and you can end up feeling unfulfilled...

Now lets go over the cycles and see if you can identify with any of the cycles....

The loading cycle.

The aspiring producer watches music videos and follows the '1 in a million' success stories from successful people in the industry and that in turn creates the desire to work in the industry, the desire to gain material possessions and that surreal lifestyle. Next they watch kids online brag about the money they've made from music, and/or the material items they've gained and this in turn impacts the aspiring producer in a way that inspires the 'would-be' career producer which creates more desire to seek out audio production as a profession.

The wash cycle.

At this point the aspiring producer steps in the game by making a few initial investments and working on his craft. He goes out and connects with a few artists either via internet or in person and offers beats and / or production services. He buys equipment to support his new found career path and invests more time and money into his 'business'.

The rinse cycle.

After some time, the aspiring producer begins to see things for what they really are, and reality sets in... his music is subpar, connecting with artists isn't what he thought it would be, or other elements interfere (like needing to get a real job to support himself) so he either begins to lose focus, transition to something else, or plain and simply come to the conclusion that he just doesn't have "it". So... at t give up or choose not to pursue it for profit anymore.

The spin cycle.

So now he gives up or chooses not to pursue it for profit anymore. With nothing but wasted time and some equipment under his belt, he then scurries off to pursue other career paths and if their lucky and time is on their side, become successful at the path they've chose and not end up working at mickey d's.

The dryer.

Now The aspiring producers that remain that haven't achieved a high level of success attempt to hang in there clinging on to the investments that they've made, paths they've crossed and inspirational stories or words from other aspiring producers that say things like "don't give up" or (insert inspirational quote here) with hopes of 'still' hitting the lottery. At this point they're "all washed up" and left hung out to dry...

With that said, the purpose of this post isn't to discourage people from following their dreams, the purpose of this post is to help people put things into perspective before taking the 'plunge' into whatever it is they choose to do.

The cold hard fact is that in this game you have to work a lot harder then other career paths with higher payouts and exhibit dedication and drive just to barely break even on your investment of just time (man hours)....not even including the money you've invested into promo and gear. The bottom line is if you really want to succeed in the music business you really do have to get out there and make a lot significant accomplishments and their is also an element of 'chance' involved as well.

How does this post make you feel?

That post is 100% accurate. A lot of people jump ship if they don't see the shore.

It actually sounds like what happened to me. I was pretty good at one time but everybody that had more time on their hands got better and then the sound changed to something more current than what I was doing. I refused to change with the times because I was so into "keepin' it real" to myself with my sound.

Now it's kind of futile to make club music if you're not in the clubs because you're probably out of touch.

Yeah that's pretty spot on, but that's what separates who does it for the music and who's just trying to get put on

The need for cash for a beat is the problem. The plan that is done with a beat is the solution.

Never too late to hit the lottery.

Further in time we go....the weirder things get. And most people who make beats starting out don't have an era..... or style...... their beats don't sound like a 2013 beat......or a 1990's beat....or a /east/west coast beat...or south beat or R&B or Pop...it just sounds like a beat. So with that said....their OLD beats from when they started out may be in demand before the beats that they have now that they have grown into making "professional beats".

good points you guys.. and Good post OP.

This has truth written all over it. I glad I don't depend on beat money LOL but its always nice to know your music is appreciated when you get a few bucks.. but waiting for the fame and ultimate success could have you sitting around waiting and dreaming forever... Something to think about.

But seriously though, the OP makes it seem like everyone who walks into that laundry mat comes out the same.

I'd say the spin cycle is the one that separates the real from the fake. The real (the actual fabric) is going to come out of that spin cycle heavy, but free from the dirt and grime of "paying dues".

The Fake, is like the dirt that clings to the clothes. The Real is out here in the trenches, doing the activity, and the fake is the dirt that happens to cling to them, in hopes of going along for the ride.

In the rinse / spin cycles, the real gets separated from the fake, and the fake gets washed down the drain.

The Dryer hardens the resolve of The Real, and proves to everyone who is truly ready for this life. They come out of the dryer brand new, cuz music is indeed embedded into the fabric of their very existence.

Some people do really make it out of the Producer Laundromat without giving up.

I don't know if it's giving up,... or switching lanes.

I know a dude that I used to see on comic view telling jokes back in the day that is whoppin' ass in MMA right now and doesn't tell jokes anymore.... and he was kinda funny.

Survival.

They did say during the Gold Rush the people selling shovels ended up making more money than the people that discovered gold.

Lets take a quote from Billboard talking about the recent Twitter IPO:

"So, musicians, celebrities and other avid Twitter users, feel free to savor your role in the growth that led up to Twitter's IPO. But that's about all you can savor, because you won't be sharing in the fruits of the IPO."

Last edited:
Back