The previous generation of trap producers

Just Clauz

Whatever happened to them? the producers pre-2010, Shawty Redd, Drumma Boy, Zaytoven, DJ Toomp, Mannie Fresh, Jermain dupree ect.

We all thought that they would be kings of the dirty south forever, and all the sudden everyone forgot about them.

Is it that hard to stay on top?

Last edited:
Whatever happened to them? the producers pre-2010, Shawty Redd, Drumma Boy, Zaytoven, DJ Toomp, Mannie Fresh, Jermain dupree ect.

We all thought that they would be kings of the dirty south forever, and all the sudden everyone forgot about them.
Firstly, I would never call JD a trap producer, that's a crazy statement in my opinion.

As for the other guys, maybe none of them are producing sounds that can compete sonically with Lex, Chop, Metro and cats like that. But I don't think that's the problem.
I think it's because they (besides Zaytoven) don't reach out to the new rappers in trap music. I've seen a video where Zay talks about going to clubs trying to find Migos, immediately after hearing their music. Not only did he seek them out, he worked with the for free.

Zay keeps his ear to the streets and embraces the youth. I don't think legends like Toomp and Mannie can find it in themselves to do that.

Is it that hard to stay on top?

It's not easy.

Last edited:
....there was a convo here a while back where everyone pretty much agreed that your lifespan as a "in the spotlight" producer was very, very limited. I think it was limited to like 6 months??

I would consider Dj Toomp a "dirty south" producer more then a trap producer. But out of the list you just stated, he would be one of the most versatile, and have the hottest beats IMO.

i think like every other genre producer.. they don't switch their sounds up and their style gets old... they gotta reinvent themselves... like 2chainz did a track used 2 produced by mannie fresh.. good song good beat... but it's not modern .. sounds like his old shit

zaytoven still does a good amount of tracks. check out migos "no label" it's a great mixtape and he produced a lot of it.

Back