The new mbox mini or apogee duet(the first one)

EngeniusBeatz

I use mac and i need a new interface. I have an m audio fast track pro now. Have you all use any of these? How would you compare quality? I hear the new mbox is better than the duet but i dunno.

I use mac and i need a new interface. I have an m audio fast track pro now. Have you all use any of these? How would you compare quality? I hear the new mbox is better than the duet but i dunno.

I'm actually in the exact same boat. My fast track pro works fine, though.

Mbox is the best value (for Pro Tools) Duet if you like spending more money "just because"
Apogee makes great stuff just bad price points.

However... if your not using Pro Tools skip both and just get a Presonus Firestudio Mobile or Focusrite Saffire Pro.

Mbox is the best value (for Pro Tools) Duet if you like spending more money "just because"
Apogee makes great stuff just bad price points.

the apogee sounds better than the mbox and the presonus and about anything else in that range.

The new Mbox uses the same converters as the Apogee....
Besides. If you want to get a great sound buy a nice preamp like a Grace M101 with a nice mic. That will make a much bigger difference then just a nice audio interface.

re

The new Mbox uses the same converters as the Apogee....
Besides. If you want to get a great sound buy a nice preamp like a Grace M101 with a nice mic. That will make a much bigger difference then just a nice audio interface.

its not just the converter chips that count. Lots of interfaces use "the same converters" but most dont sound as good as apogees (even though the duet is the low end of their products). While I am a huge fan of great preamps and mics. Imo conversion is the most critical part of the signal chain nowdays besides talent. to my ear the new mbox sound much better than the old ones, but not as good as a duet.

its not just the converter chips that count. Lots of interfaces use "the same converters" but most dont sound as good as apogees (even though the duet is the low end of their products). While I am a huge fan of great preamps and mics. Imo conversion is the most critical part of the signal chain nowdays besides talent. to my ear the new mbox sound much better than the old ones, but not as good as a duet.

Again I have nothing wrong with the Apogee stuff I just don't like the price points. They are overpriced for what they are. Again I would personally rather split the difference from the Apogee and invest that towards a better preamp or microphone, hell maybe some acoustic treatment. Of course, assuming you already have all that stuff, and can justify the prices of the Apogee stuff by all means it's certainly not a bad decision. I've been looking at the Motu stuff myself lately. Pretty nice box with tons of features for the price and sound quality is really good too on the newer stuff. Solid Mac support too.

I gotta agree with Scorchinbeats. Mbox mini +1.

Back