The Label Fad

Underminded

Its hard to keep up with all the emerging genres. I feel like the music industry has developed obsessive compulsive disorder and wants to classify every subgenre that pops up. The "label fad", as I call it (labels as in those stickers you put on things to keep them organized), also extends its arms to the idea of albums, mixtapes and EPs. There does not seem to be a solid definition of what these mean anymore, especially in the HipHop/Rap stream since the disappearance of major labels running the show - indie producers and artists seem to run the scene now and everyone seems to have their own ideas on what each means.

Don't get me wrong, this is useful in many situations - especially for listeners trying to find a specific type of music. But do you think there is a better system? Is there another way to classify music and various release packages without introducing clutter as the current system has in my opinion? How does this system deal with game changing releases that don't fit into any of the current classes?

Last edited:
Back