Technic 1200

iishowoff

this might be the wrong spot to post this but i thought i'd get help faster here..

anyway i have two technics 1200mkII but no needles.. I have no idea what to look for so i was planning on selling them to get a newer version or something less expensive..

problem is i really wanna keep them so can you guys recommend a GOOD needle please!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!

Hey man! Keep the 1200s!!!
To find a good needle you need to know how you will be using the turntables. So please answer that one...

Hey man! Keep the 1200s!!!
To find a good needle you need to know how you will be using the turntables. So please answer that one...

mostly sampling and recording records and some occasional scratching after watching some qbert lol

Yeah. You´re just like me then.
I got the ortofon concorde pro in on the trade when i bought my turntables, ive been very satisfied with them.
ccpro600.jpg

Ortofon - Concorde PRO

Traditionally, scratch DJs prefer spherical styli, as they preserve more of the groove over repeated backcueing and scratching. In theory, there is little difference between the tracking capabilities of an elliptical stylus versus a spherical stylus. Mix DJs will benefit from either stylus type, and many choose elliptical based strictly on fidelity reasons. However, there is no absolute rule on choosing a stylus - many mix DJs still use sphericals, and some scratch DJs are actually using ellipticals (including Ortofon endorsee DJ Netik, DMC World Champion). One thing is for sure - if you choose to use an elliptical stylus, you should take care to not apply too much tracking weight, as it will prematurely cause unnecessary wear.

Last edited:
selling them to get a newer version
Newer doesn't always mean better. This is one of those cases. Keep your 1200's.

Maybe the Shure M44g would fit your requirements. M44-7 is great for scratching but is very bass heavy, while the m44g sounds better making it the better choice for listening and sampling but it still can be used for scratching too.

And if you feel like the stylus doesn't track well enough for you while scratching eventhough it shouldn't be a problem, you can simply get the n44-7's (m44-7 styluses) and switch them to your m44g cartridges when scratching. They are interchangeable as the cartridges are basically the same just need to add a bit more tracking force (if you are totally new, this is simply done by adjusting the counter weight on the other end of your tonearm after you've set it to zero by adjusting it to a point where the tonearm hovers over the record instead of tipping one way or another).

If you want Ortofons I'd suggest grabbing the OM versions and mounting them to your Technics headshells as there's talk about the contact pins on the concordes not lining up as well as the OEM headshell's. Besides you'll save quite a bit that way, both versions are the same thing but with a different type of mount..

Last edited:
Should work well for your needs. Not sure if it said on the set up instructions, but after setting them up, it's a good idea to leave the needles sitting on records overnight.. What it'll do is break in the rubber bearing at the end of the cantilever with the help of gravity.

Should work well for your needs. Not sure if it said on the set up instructions, but after setting them up, it's a good idea to leave the needles sitting on records overnight.. What it'll do is break in the rubber bearing at the end of the cantilever with the help of gravity.

should it be spinning?? i thought this question was dumb but hey.. you never know.. lol

Nope, just leave it sitting on a record, it'll get rid of the factory stiffness of the rubber bearing. Breaking in the needle will happen by listening to records, you'll get rid of the rough edges of the diamond tip that way.

Back