Taking Over the Game (

You guys are determined to find a few producers who had some formal music training. Don't want to see those piano lessons go to waste huh? I am in no means trying to discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams. I'm just regurgitating things I've learned over the years. In many instances these musicians and producers who I admired didnt grow up in a environment that afforded them the luxury of a formal music education.

You paint with too broad a brush.

I get your argument, these cats grow up in the ghetto so they must not be privileged enough to be able to learn classical instrumentation or composition...you are using the , "Theys too dumb/poor to learn" argument which is severely flawed.

Schools provide music classes of various types such as piano, choir, marching band and so on where a person can not only learn but learn from some honestly great teachers (in some cases) and if they enjoy it or have an affinity for it the opportunities open up for the student. A teacher who sees potential in a student will many times find a way to advance that students learning outside the classroom, I saw this happen several times while in high school and it produced some very well known and talented drummers and bass players.

Formal education doesn't always cost an arm and a leg to gain it, what it does take is talent and dedication, the teachers will find the talent and find a way to work and develop it further.

Last edited:
Back