Taking my mix to the next level

NSmusic

So I have recently "finished" a beat and although the beat itself sounds alright, I have been told that the mix is pretty weak or average. I think I agree with this but I just can't seem to figure out how to take it to the next level. To be honest, all I've really done is eq, volume levels, reverb, some delay, and some panning (none of which I am an expert at). What do you guys do to take beats to the next level, and what are your thoughts on my mix? Appreciate any helpful feedback I can get!

I think the mix actually sounds pretty nice and clean except the melodic elements are pretty dry (add a bit more delay and reverb and see if that improves it), I'd rather say that the arrangement needs some more work to take it to the next level. Though I notice you didn't mention any compression or gating and such, and these are also powerful mixing tools, so you could experiment with this a little more.

when you play harmonics bellow 350 hz a problem is that that frequencies of harmonics are too close to each other when its below that

to understand this better play a c-major chord on those low frequencies and you see a problem starts to happen and because of that when i want to make a dark chord i use chord inversions to keep harmonics a little more distant from each other

when i design a bass synth with Fm i keep this on mind, it could be harmonics of a bass that will make the the sound muddy, i check which harmonics are too close to each other and i may want to decrease the amount of one of those harmonics so the other will not be cancelled,

and there are also things you can do with the kick drum to decrease these kind of problems

Back