Syncing ASR-10 with ProTools (8) (MIDI)

drunkmonkey5556

hey
i just got Pro Tools 8, and I am new to both PT and the ASR, and I am trying to sync them up so that I can record out of the ASR into ProTools with a midi beat clock so that everything is all linked up correctly and i don't have to align my tracks. as you can probably tell i dont know much about it, so a step by step would be appreciated.

i'm thinking i'd use pro tools as the master. but what do i need to do both in ProTools and on the ASR to have them communicate? and then how do i actually do it?

THANKS

michael

---------- Post added 07-05-2010 at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-04-2010 at 11:14 AM ----------

bump!!! please help if you can.. i'm not able to work on my music until i have this figured out
thanks

there aint nothin u can do. its an issue pro tools and the asr 10 have had for years. Lots of people have had this issue

there aint nothin u can do. its an issue pro tools and the asr 10 have had for years. Lots of people have had this issue

Just out of curiosity... What is the issue? I was always interested in an ASR. Would have been disappointed to find out that I couldn't sync it with Pro Tools after buying one.

Just out of curiosity... What is the issue? I was always interested in an ASR. Would have been disappointed to find out that I couldn't sync it with Pro Tools after buying one.

don't worry, he's wrong. its very commonly done, by many established producers. im on the MPC forums and there's an ASR-10 thread and they all link theirs with Pro Tools, but they won't tell me how they just tell me to read the manual.. so to anyone just tuning in, check my original post please and thanks

don't worry, he's wrong. its very commonly done, by many established producers. im on the MPC forums and there's an ASR-10 thread and they all link theirs with Pro Tools, but they won't tell me how they just tell me to read the manual.. so to anyone just tuning in, check my original post please and thanks
I am glad you found a way everyone who I have spoken to has said its impossible Idk why because I choose to not go pro tools

What exactly is the problem? I don't have either so can't try it out, but since it's such a basic MIDI task, it's hard to believe it'd be "impossible".

its a timing issue i keep hearing. the asr 10 timing especially with the sequencer has never been the best

Sounds feasible. Still, setting this up shouldn't be any more mysterious than getting PT to send MTC & putting the ASR to receive it, so the OP can see how it works out.

thanks for the responses, i got some help on the MPC forum and worked it out.

PS i'm using pro tools as the master, and so the timing shouldn't be an issue i don't think.. especially if i leave 2 bars empty in the beginning
peace

1. set asr to clock source= MIDI (from the EDIT/SEQUENCE window)

2. midi OUT cable of interface to midi IN ASR

3. set Pro Tools session to same tempo as asr-10

4. in Pro Tools go to Setup - Midi - Midi Beat Clock and configure everything,

5. press record play start...

if it still isn't working check the midi menu on the asr and make sure its on the base channel and stuff, and go to the midi studio set up in pro tools and make sure everything is set up, the reason it didnt work for me is i had the midi cables in wrong lol.. in to in, out to out, i wasnt thinking when i set it up

Back