Studiologic VMK 188... anybody have one or use one?

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
So i'm definitely going to upgrade over the Keystation Pro 88 I bought used a few months ago. Every week there's a different problem w/ the keys sending MIDI information. I'm frustrated to the point where i'm no longer productive... and i no longer feel creative on my old Radium 49 key. I need a solution and need it now lol.

I definitely need 88 keys and I want the weighted feel. I don't honestly care if it's full graded hammer action yada yada... as long as it's 88 key and weighted i'm fine w/ it. I need knobs and faders so the Studiologic Fatar SL is not an option. It would be nice to have buttons to control a few software functions and I definitely want transport controls. I want the best keys I can get for the money... looking to spend no more than around $800, but would go to $850 or $900 if necessary.

I think i've narrowed down my search to the Studiologic VMK 188. The other options seem like too much of a risk for me. The CME UF series (the new version and the classic) seem to have too many quality issues and complaints about the keys being spongey, which i'm not willing to risk anymore after this experience w/ the Keystation Pro 88. I don't like the pads on the MPK88. I would purchase it and get pad upgrades, but i'm not confident enough to risk the pad upgrades not working well and me being completely turned off. I refuse to feel like i bought it just for the keys and not to use it's other features. Plus, I have a MPD 18 when I enjoy for the time being. The Oxygen 88 is an option, but there are very very few reviews on it, and I'm not really interested in MAudio's keybed anymore.

Anybody have any experience w/ Studiologic VMK? I loved the feel of the Fatar SL when I tried it, so i'm assumed it's big brother would be either the same or better in playing experience. The keys came right back after being depressed. It felt like it was "supposed" to. I hear the VMK has subpar feeling faders, but I can deal with that if it has good keys.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't understand why you think that your keyboard needs to have knobs and faders just because you need knobs and faders -- they have dedicated devices that contain only knobs and faders in various sizes and price-points.

KORG nanoKONTROL (and version 2), Behringer BCR2000/BCF2000, CME Bitstream 3X, Novation ReMOTE ZeRo SL (mkI and mkII), etc.

You can get Studiologic's SL990XP and a ReMOTE ZeRo in order to have a quality weighted key controller with Automap. If you have a hard time with the fact that it's made of two seperate units, go buy some superglue.

Back