Studio setup help, do I need a mixer?

simon_rst

Hi I want to record audio on ableton from hardware synths and racks, like motif rack, I also have sy85 synthesized and planning to buy more synth racks, what audio interface to buy? Already I have old mbox, but i want to upgrade, I thinking to buy Focusrite saffire 6USB, will do the job? Or I need something with more in/outs, saffire and mixer wil work? To connect my racks, sy85 and electric guitar? What's best stuff to buy? My budged £600 for audio interface/ mixer

Do you need it all plugged in at once? You use a mixer when you have multiple sources you need to mix or switch between.

If you like the Focusrites, I'd probably look into one of the bigger models with more inputs - even if you do get a mixer to hook your things up, you'd still need to record each synth in a separate pass since you only have two inputs on the Saffire 6...and in any case, the mixer in a case like this will most likely be not much more than a glorified gain knob - it's simply overkill if you just need more i/o.

THanx Krushing, I will go for bigger Focusrite, but they on firewire just this 6USB is on USB, firewire is good as usb?

Yes, if not even better - although nowadays the differences between the two are negligible and it's more of a thing of preference - excluding some extreme situations of pushing a lot of simultaneous tracks in & out. Most of the interfaces don't even have enough i/o to max out the FW/USB buses, so this shouldn't really be anything to worry about. Some FW interfaces can be picky about the FW chipset your computer uses, so that might be something to check out prior to purchase (there's some articles about this on the Focusrite site).

Back