Studio Monitors

I want to know what the best cheap studio monitors available. I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money to spend but I want to know some studio monitors for a reasonable price.

m-audio bx5a d2

they are computer designed and won an award I believe. I have some bx5as and love them. they are good and flat. they hit low don't distort. they look cool. they get plenty loud enough. they don't bottom out and over hit in the lows like KRK's. They are just a simple, quality, monitor that is really even.

between $75-150

You're gonna have a hard time finding anything decent for that price, if I were you I would save up a little until you have at least 200-250 to spend on a pair, which is still very little money for studio monitors. At least I don't know anything to recommend for your current budget.

between $75-150

m-audio bx5a d2

they are computer designed and won an award I believe. I have some bx5as and love them. they are good and flat. they hit low don't distort. they look cool. they get plenty loud enough. they don't bottom out and over hit in the lows like KRK's. They are just a simple, quality, monitor that is really even.

The BX5a is also what my local Guitar Center has hooked up to its floor model synths, workstations, and computers.
Unfortunately, a pair is twice his budget:

between $75-150

Id really recommend increasing your budget.

If you can't increase your budget for some reason, though (maybe you've got birthday money and no job, I dunno),
I'd suggest checking out the Mackie CR4.
They're some really nice, semi-portable speakers that you can still find a purpose for as a reference or portable system after you eventually upgrade.

-Ki
Salem Beats

The BX5a is also what my local Guitar Center has hooked up to its floor model synths, workstations, and computers.
Unfortunately, a pair is twice his budget:

Id really recommend increasing your budget.

If you can't increase your budget for some reason, though (maybe you've got birthday money and no job, I dunno),
I'd suggest checking out the Mackie CR4.
They're some really nice, semi-portable speakers that you can still find a purpose for as a reference or portable system after you eventually upgrade.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Yea I'm in school so I don't have a ton of money to spend on music equipment right now but i was just wondering I was gonna wait anyway until I have more money to spend on monitors

I agree with you guys. Headphones are more along the lines of that budget. While I did find my Bx5a's used for 115 a pair. I bought them online at a trading place like Craigslsi although I choose to no longer shop there for reasons stated on the news about San Fransisco and their molestation laws regarding learning sexuality. As well as for Christians. It is mandatory for people to be forced into sex with San Fransicans and such according to the San Fransiscan laws, and Craigslist advocates for that, and resides in the San Fran area.

There might be sales on Bx5a's coming up in the Christmas season. Maybe you can research or check out and demo some cheaper M-audio. Maybe they are quality enough as well.

Thanks for the like too! Have a good holiday season.

Your gonna need to look at used bookshelf speakers in your budget.
I'm running destination audio's, and a old phillips amp that run me $55 for both.
My setup will easily compete with most budget $300 5.25 in monitors.

You can find deals in the hi-fi market more easily, and the sound is similar.

Dayton Audio B652's would be a good start, and can be found for around $40. Get one of those mini amps to drive it, and your set until your ready to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back