Studio Monitors Vs. Headphones (Mixing & Mastering)

DeondreTyree

What's up, I need some help with an ongoing debate. Which would be better to mix and master your songs? Studio monitors or open back headphones? I have used M-audio Bx5 monitors in the past and am looking to upgrade soon. Also I do not have an acoustically treated room at the moment which sometimes makes my mix sound different in other environments.If any one can help me please feel free to input your feedback. I'm looking to mix/master both my own production and vocal tracks in the hip hop genre.

What's up, I need some help with an ongoing debate. Which would be better to mix and master your songs? Studio monitors or open back headphones? I have used M-audio Bx5 monitors in the past and am looking to upgrade soon. Also I do not have an acoustically treated room at the moment which sometimes makes my mix sound different in other environments.If any one can help me please feel free to input your feedback. I'm looking to mix/master both my own production and vocal tracks in the hip hop genre.

When you go the monitor route, unless you have some really expensive monitors and happen to have a pretty ideal room naturally, you are going to have to treat the acoustics too. In combination with the fact that with cheaper monitors you need at least a pair, it adds up to a higher cost than with headphones. Besides this you then also have the practical aspects, for instance that you might want to play loud in the middle of the night and you need the skills to setup your room properly too. All of this means it takes more energy and money to end up with a great solution, but it is definitely something you should aim for.

With headphones on the other hand, you can if you live in a relatively big city, just enter some store and try out various expensive headphones, handpick the ones that fits your ears and when you come home and start mixing you now have got the same sound at home because the acoustics does not play a role. All of this at a lower cost and with the possibility of working remotely and in the middle of the night as well. So for anyone that wants to learn mixing and mastering, headphones are definitely going to help you on that journey.

I have experience with both near fields and headphones, I find it's ideal if you can use both, but great monitors in great acoustics is the winner because you can have more than two sets active at the same time, with open back headphones you can pretty much only use two, beyond that it's practically difficult. When I work with headphones for monitoring, I commonly work with open back headphones and iterate two sets at a time (one set around the neck and one set in front of the ears). They become like small speakers and in my experience it works.

If you decide the monitor route I do think you should spend quite a lot of money on both the speakers and the acoustics, everything else is basically waste of money. Also don't forget that the audio interface also has a certain frequency response, therefore it is optimal when you are on a budget to reference check on several entirely discrete setups. And it's great if you incorporate some in ear buds too, because they can reveal certain things about the dynamics due to how close they are to the ears.

Last edited:
When you go the monitor route, unless you have some really expensive monitors and happen to have a pretty ideal room naturally, you are going to have to treat the acoustics too. In combination with the fact that with cheaper monitors you need at least a pair, it adds up to a higher cost than with headphones. Besides this you then also have the practical aspects, for instance that you might want to play loud in the middle of the night and you need the skills to setup your room properly too. All of this means it takes more energy and money to end up with a great solution, but it is definitely something you should aim for.

With headphones on the other hand, you can if you live in a relatively big city, just enter some store and try out various expensive headphones, handpick the ones that fits your ears and when you come home and start mixing you now have got the same sound at home because the acoustics does not play a role. All of this at a lower cost and with the possibility of working remotely and in the middle of the night as well. So for anyone that wants to learn mixing and mastering, headphones are definitely going to help you on that journey.

I have experience with both near fields and headphones, I find it's ideal if you can use both, but great monitors in great acoustics is the winner because you can have more than two sets active at the same time, with open back headphones you can pretty much only use two, beyond that it's practically difficult. When I work with headphones for monitoring, I commonly work with open back headphones and iterate two sets at a time (one set around the neck and one set in front of the ears). They become like small speakers and in my experience it works.

If you decide the monitor route I do think you should spend quite a lot of money on both the speakers and the acoustics, everything else is basically waste of money. Also don't forget that the audio interface also has a certain frequency response, therefore it is optimal when you are on a budget to reference check on several entirely discrete setups. And it's great if you incorporate some in ear buds too, because they can reveal certain things about the dynamics due to how close they are to the ears.

Thanks for the reply you are right that when you buy monitors you're definitely going to need acoustic treatment as well. I'm leaning towards the open back headphones until I can upgrade and get my room treated.

Thanks for the reply you are right that when you buy monitors you're definitely going to need acoustic treatment as well. I'm leaning towards the open back headphones until I can upgrade and get my room treated.

Makes sense. Please notice that open back headphones have a tendency to relax the dynamics, especially when they have a high impedance and you are not using a headphone amp to drive them. Much of the attack in the mix is pushed through the air holes on the back of them. All in all this means that it's demanding to succeed with the dynamics when you are using open back headphones. You easily monitor with too much volume and might not sense the dynamics properly, it's the same with the stereo field, it can be a bit false. I have a pair of cans worth more than 4 tUSD that are open back, great stereo image but not even those can do the dynamics really well. I have not heard any open back cans that really can do that well. For the listener it can be sweet to have the softness, but when you mix and master you want the raw sound so that you can make the right moves.

When you choose cans, be aware that how well you can work with the dynamics of the mix, is a very important factor, especially in hip hop. If you choose closed back headphones you are able to extract more dynamic information out of them. I think it is optimal to use at least one pair of closed back headphones, at least one pair of semi-open back headphones, at least one pair of open back headphones and at least one pair of in ear buds and then reference check with all of those types. Each type will bring important information to mixing/mastering and can be used creatively as well.

Back