Start with piano and then EDM? Some thoughts..

hingst1

Hi,

First off - english is not my primare language, so bear with me. And if this thread is misplaced, please move it to the correct category.

I’ve been thinking for a while to start play the piano, and then slowly progress over to the EDM-area. What I can tell, the “scene” has grown pretty big, and it feels like there are a lot of people around who can produce “decent” house-songs (for example), and thus easy for one to become just one among many.

I don’t really have a clue in what makes a good song, but from my perspective I always “fall” for that melody which I think makes the song catchy. And as far as I can tell, the melody is often created through the piano, hence the reason I want to learn playing the piano.

When it comes to producing, I can think that many of the producers are dreaming or waiting for one day, on which they will come up with that melody that just sounds so awesome, and make them famous. Is this “right” or am I crazy?

Because I myself kinda thinks in those ”Loops”, that after a thousands of hours of traing infront of the piano and so on, that one day, i will improvise a catchy tune/sound which I then take on to the next step (hello, one are alowed to dream right?? ) Does it like work this way? How to then take it to the next level?

As to the piano playing, I think that I might have aptitude (have to look that word up on google-translate lol) in playing the piano (ofc I iknow that it will take years to really master the instrument). I have fore example managed to play melodies from songs that I’ve heard on the radio, like Bromance – Avicii or One last time – Ariana Grande, on virtual piano.net by just “hearing” my way through. I don’t know if this “means” anything, or if it is something everyone can do by ease. I’m pretty versatile when it comes to music aswell, my ipod (yes, im using an Ipod) is only packed with metal for example, but I listen to hiphop and EDM aswell.

Just wanna hear your thoughts guys, appreciate it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back