Speakers/Monitors in home studio

cinciredsfan11

I currently have no speakers or monitors. I only use my headphones for making music. I am in a very small room, and no acoustic treatment. I would like to have some type of speaker/monitor setup just to give my ears a break from the headphones, and be able to hear my music out loud. I am not looking to do any professional mixing. Currently I just listen to my mixes in my car and on the home theater speakers my roommate has. I will have to buy something, so my question is would I be better off just getting a cheap set of speakers for under $50, or would I benefit from getting monitors, without an ideal room setup, just because they are a flatter response? Something like the m-audio av 30, a pair of these can go for as little as $80 online. I could save up and get a pair of monitors in the $400-500 range, but I just wonder if that would even be worth spending the extra money given my environment?

I'd spend $80 at a pawn shop on speakers before I spent it on AV40s. This has been discussed a million times on this site, i suggest you search other threads.

I'm just honestly weary from this repeditive discussion(not your fault, just same old discussion). "Monitors" are no more professional than speakers. You get what you pay for. With that being said, with cheap monitors(most stuff under $500) you're paying for packaging, cheaply built parts, namebrand, ect. Ultimately you're wasting money on CRAP that sellers convince you is professional because...get this...they want your money!!! With speakers on the other hand $150-200 will get you something DECENT. Decent is better than crap, but not the best.

If you have $500 to invest I personally think it would be better spent on a decent amp($200-300)and a decent pair of speakers(whatever you have leftover). Any powered monitor for that price is gonna be crap.

Others are gonna chime in and say (paraphrased of course)"i got *insert powered monitor name here* for under $500, and even though I've never heard speakers hooked to an amp to compare and don't realize my frequency range is screwed, I'll vouch that these are great monitors and speakers aren't professional... until I come into some money and these same powered monitors I just suggested you get are replaced by BETTER POWERED MONITORS that I still haven't compared to realize sound pretty comparable to speaker counterparts that would've been hundreds cheaper".

Then you have the guys who say(not paraphrased)"$500 is not enough you need to save more." F**k those rich guys. lol. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. When i searched posts I just searched for "monitors" and "speakers", and I mostly just got threads about ppl asking which ones to buy on what budget. I guess what I was after was, would u rather have cheap speakers or cheap monitors? lol. I figured monitors just because they would be aimed at being a more flat response, even if they are not great quality. I am really just looking to here my music out loud, and i thought instead of spending 20 bucks on some cheap speakers, it might serve me better to get some cheap monitors for around 100 bucks. For me, and my applications, I feel like the amount of money needed to get quality monitors is really out of my budget.

Im curious though, for around 500 bucks u could get a pair of rokit 8s, mackie mr8s, or yamaha msp5s. These seem to be fairly popular among lower budget monitors. Ive read some mixed reviews about them, but would u consider these "cheaply made" or "crappy"?

Last edited:
^^^Yes, and not "flatter" or 'more accurate" than a pair of Sony B3000s or Yamaha NS333s coupled with a good amp. Everyone else will tell you differently to justify money they've spent on B.S. monitors that they were duped into thinking they were professional.

Rockit 8s and MR8s are just as decent as a speaker setup, but I wasn't aware they were in the $500 range. If they are that shows a decline in price because they're not worth much when people aren't buying into the dream like they once were. Bit of irony, speaker and amp prices continue to go up, tell me WTF's wrong, lol.

Ya i just looked at those 3 on sweetwater's website. And yes thats ironic, but i guess its the same reason ppl shell out 200-300 bucks for beats by dre phones, more bass n treble make it better lol

^^^I'd suggest you research. If you can get MR8s for $500 that is a great option. Being that they're powered and less hassle hooking up, I'd say those are by far your best option. Better than trying to piece together a system of speakers and amps, and IMO lightyears ahead of Rockit 8s. Some opinions will differ, but my personal opinion, if MR*s are in your pricerange, grab those, don't look back, don't upgrade until you're jumping to something super high end...if ever.

MR8s have stay power which is more than you can say about most cheaper powered monitors.

Back