Sound Design Methods and Techniques....???

Chew_Bear

Everyone knows that the main bulk or main theme of sound design is using SYNTHESIZERS.

Whether there hardware (Roland, Arturia, Moog, Access Virus etc.) or software/Plugins (Massive, Omnisphere, Serum, Sylenth1 etc.) is really up to the user.

What I would like to know is...

1. Are there any other forms or techniques of sound design other than the 'typical' synthesizer route...?

2. Are the possibilities/solutions really limitless/endless and only are bound by your imagination...?

3. Can the techniques and methods that you find or come up with...really define you as a producer and your 'signature sound',
therefore helping separate you from the pack...?

Seems like the possibilities really are limitless and only limited by your imagination correct...?

For example...

SIMPLEST FORM: Foley and General sample manipulation.

Record something that is totally unique and have never been used as a form of musical expression or treatment. (chainsaw, paper, water drops etc.)

Anyone can open up a DAW...manipulate a sample to their hearts content...until they come up with something that is totally unique and different from the original piece/sample.

MOST COMPLEX FORM: Complex web/combination of Synthesizers.

Deadmau5 and his monstrosity of a crazy, complex web of modular synthesizers. Run it thru a whole bunch of processing and manipulation until you come up with something that is totally out of this world.

Last edited:
I think you have the basics down - either you capture sounds, or generate sounds, and then further process and manipulate. Of course in the case of foley, for example, you both capture and generate in a way. Of course one can endlessly sub-categorize "recording" for example; synthesis and samples are not really separate entities as there are many occasions where their paths cross and so on.

The possibilities are practically endless, of course - whether or not you'll get endlessly usable sounds, or whether anyone cares whether this or that sound was made through a super intricate "complex web of synthesizers" vs. a Nexus preset is of course another thing. Yes, of course sound design can be a defining factor in someone's signature sound, but there's many a thing that goes into what defines one's "sound", so I'm not sure if the answer is of any use. Is deadmau5's sound markedly different with his room full of modulars vs. what he had before that? Probably not, because in his case the limiting factor is the simplicity of the music, not the possibilities and knowledge that he may have.

I find that 'signature sound' is 20% technical and 80% creative. The Beatles had a characteristic sound that was undoubtedly part "Abbey Road", but when they formed Apple, they took with them the signature 'Beatles sound" of harmonious and melodic pop.

Even when they ventured into more psychedelic soundscapes, that creative twang remained. In the same way, there are millions of FL Studio users, but DJ Mustard's pop R&B styling is unmistakable.

My primary suggestion is to do whatever pleases your ear - whether it's using a custom patch stack or default preset - and let it develop naturally; a producer's 'signature' sound will naturally form and evolve organically.

I hope that's helpful.

- James, Indie Music Business Blogger starvingartistsuggestions.blogspot.com

Not very helpful but the main categories of synths IMO are subtractive, wavetable, FM, additive and sample based, and there are software and hardware versions of each of these. There's also quite a lot of overlap between the categories sometimes- wavetable/subtractive software synths are very common and popular

Back