Sound card fried, anyone try a USB external sound card?

MattCoops

I had my laptop in backpack in the rain and the moisture must have messed up sound card.
When I turned on it had a weird humming noise coming from speakers. Everything else worked except for audio.
I was gonna try one of these USB sound cards and before I spent money on it, wanted to see if anyone else had try these before?

That sucks man. I know that feeling.

What are you using the soundcard for? Are you just playing songs/videos on your laptop? Or are you intending on doing any production w/ it?

If the answer is the former i'd assume any of those will suit your needs. If it's the latter, you'll probably be better off getting an audio interface.

It's the latter.
And it would take me weeks to decipher which audio interface to get and if I would really want one.
I grew up in the days when master recordings were done on cassette tape. And when the CD burner came out it was six hundred bucks. And if you had one, Newbury Comics would take you serious when you went with pressed CDs to put on consignment.
Nowadays you gotta spend 3-5 grand to sell 99 cent inventory.

Haha.. I feel you man.

Are you going to be recording audio (vocals? guitar?)? Or are you simply producing just using a DAW?

For any audio... you can get an inexpensive interface w/ a simple USB connection.
MAudio FastTrack runs about $100 bucks.
M-Audio Fast Track USB | Sweetwater.com

If you're doing no recording and just need the soundcard for playback then again any of those options you already researched will probably work. You might just want to get ASIO4ALL as your audio driver for stability.

Back