Sound Card and Audio Interface

UnkNowNGenius

Soon I'll be making up my own lil' studio, things I'll have is A PC with a DAW haven't decided which one yet, I want to test all the demos first.

A Midi keyboard, probably keystation, M-audio.

Yamaha HS50m or Yamaha HS80M or maybe KRK one of them.

That's all I've decided to get, I've forgot sound card and Audio Interface. Now thats the prob, I know nothing about them, I MEAN NOTHING.

Can anyone suggest what Sound Card I should get? and what Audio Interface? I WILL NOT be recording guitar or anything like that in my own lil studio, if I do i'll do it in another studio, but I dont think I'll record guitar yet because im a total newbie at it.

So what sound card and audio interface should I get?

Soundcard, audio interface - same thing, different names. You won't be needing two.

Are you sure you're never gonna want to record *anything* or use outboard processing? I'd hate to have that option totally closed off, but to each his own (fortunately interfaces without any kind of inputs are pretty rare ;)). I'd probably look at Focusrites Saffire/Scarlett series, MOTU's Blackjack, RME's Babyface, and maybe the M-Audio & Presonus stuff if you're on a strict budget.

Well okay, I wouldnt say never, but as you said forunately interfaces without any kind of inputs are pretty rare.

I would rather buy a DECENT one later when I get more cash, right now I just need a normal one.

Thanks for explaining that soundcard and audio inteface is the same thing haha.

I thought there were only internal soundcards inside of the comp? and an audio interface was a thing like this Resultat av Googles bildsökning efter http://static.clickbd.com/global/classified/item_img/393754_0_original.jpg

But y'all seem to recommend an external soundcard aka Audio Inteface, so Ill go with it.

Im prolly getting the Focusrites saffire scarlett series, its the cheapest one out of them all, except the M-Audio? M audio is always cheap... which M audio inteface would you recommend and is it good enough?

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-11-2012 at 06:23 AM ----------

Avid | Fast Track C400

I might get this one, good enough?

---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-12-2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

anyone?

Yes, your PC comes with a built-in soundcard. A PC's soundcard is not meant for music production. It's only meant for basic playback of songs and the sound from videos. They are usually cheap... b/c the average person doesn't have high demands in this area.

The audio interface essentially replaces that soundcard, hence audio interface = sound card. The benefits of getting an interface are 1) good audio drivers, and 2) better sound conversion (converted from actual sound you can hear into 0s and 1s.. literally.. and then back from 0s and 1s to actual sound).

Why are these important? Well.. your DAW needs an audio driver to run. So, it's best to have one that's well written (since all it is, is a set of computer coding). And you can't hear a 0 or a 1 can you? lol.. it takes a complicated math equation and all other types of stuff that I don't understand to actually convert real sound into freakin 0s and 1s and vice versa.

So, please listen to me and don't make the mistake of getting a piece of garbage now, with plans to get a good one later. You're wasting money. I know... b/c I did it. Get a god solid one now, so that you don't need a major upgrade just to be decent.

I would rather buy a DECENT one later when I get more cash, right now I just need a normal one.

Decent IS normal!!!!! Just do the right research and get a decent, normal one. If you buy used, you can really get some good stuff. Audio interfaces breakdown very rarely. The last one I bought new, was when I myself was brand new to production and I didn't know any better. It makes no sense to buy new... unless you just have money to splurge and want to put more money into other people's pockets.

Krushing recommended some good ones. It seems like practically everybody's getting the Focusrites lol. They are said to have good preamps and solid drivers. If you have firewire, Echo Audio interfaces are top notch quality for a very competitive price.

Firewire was invented by Apple, but it's for PC also. If the PC or laptop doesn't have a Firewire port, you can add one.I'd probably get the Focusrite before I got the Avid (aka MAudio). MAudio makes good solid affordable gear- and there's technically nothing wrong w/ it, but I think the audio drivers can be much better. there's usually a few options that are a little bit better for the exact same price, but just aren't marketed as well.

Back