Software sampler that allows automation on loop length?

CarbonParlour

Hello all

Im pretty new to this forum, so howdy!

I use Cubase 4. Have been through a few software samplers, looking for one that allows automation of the loops length on a sample. So far I have tried Kontakt and Battery without success, they both allow the loop length to be changed but it cannot be automed from Cubase and it cannot be automated by assigning a CC value for external hardware control. I have visited forums on both these samplers and it is well known that this feature would be well received.

So - has anyone got a recommendation for a loop sampler that allows external automation on loop length? So - as the loop cycles it becomes shorter as I reduce the length of the loop, therefore creating a stutter effect. But should be controlled by the host rather than within the VST.

Cheers

Claire

Yep, you can do this in Shortcircuit. It's quite the beast :D

Use the modulation routing section, and assign a host automation parameter (automation 01, for example) to "loop length". If I recall correctly, it worked most intuitively for me if I set the relative modulation to -100%. The sample loop is then the regular length when ever you have an automation value of zero going on, and you stutter the loop length by going upwards.

Thanks for the tip Guenon. I've used the mod for filtering several times, but not for loop modulation.
I also surprised that Kontakt can't do this?....Ouch.

Thanks for the replys. Tried shortcircuit 2, but possibly like you say its missing automation, but after reading the follow up reply to that will have a look again in the modulation section.

Vsampler - its possible it will do it but the manual makes no mention whatsoever of automation and in Cubase gives you a massive list of automation parameters, all abbreviated, so not sure what does what and it would atke ages to try each one, so have fired off an email to the coders and see if they can help.

Will report back on shortcircuit, going to take another look now :)

CarbonParlour said:
Thanks for the replys. Tried shortcircuit 2, but possibly like you say its missing automation, but after reading the follow up reply to that will have a look again in the modulation section.

Vsampler - its possible it will do it but the manual makes no mention whatsoever of automation and in Cubase gives you a massive list of automation parameters, all abbreviated, so not sure what does what and it would atke ages to try each one, so have fired off an email to the coders and see if they can help.

Will report back on shortcircuit, going to take another look now :)

Yeah use version 1 of shortcircuit for automation.
It's a very deep sampler for just having a 1 page interface though, so don't be surprised if you miss a few things with the first few spins.

Ok, probably need some help on setup here, cant get it working. I have a sample loaded, the modulation routing is set up so that auto01 modulates the loop length. In cubase I have setup auto001 (i notice these dont match 01 and 001 - but you have no choice). I can loop the sample using midi from within cubase. I have drawn an automation line which should shorten the loop length, but it still just plays the entire sample. Have fiddled around with the modulation % values, got it set to 100% and start the automation at zero, but its the same length when playing.. any ideas?

Oh figured it - the modulation value needed to be a negative - so -100% worked a treat, any more than that and you can evetually get the loop to play backwards, very neat!

Cheers for your help guys, this has been a thorn in my side for ages so nice to get it sorted and via free software too. Nice.

Last edited:
CarbonParlour said:
Ok, probably need some help on setup here, cant get it working. I have a sample loaded, the modulation routing is set up so that auto01 modulates the loop length. In cubase I have setup auto001 (i notice these dont match 01 and 001 - but you have no choice). I can loop the sample using midi from within cubase. I have drawn an automation line which should shorten the loop length, but it still just plays the entire sample. Have fiddled around with the modulation % values, got it set to 100% and start the automation at zero, but its the same length when playing.. any ideas?

Oh figured it - the modulation value needed to be a negative - so -100% worked a treat, any more than that and you can evetually get the loop to play backwards, very neat!

Cheers for your help guys, this has been a thorn in my side for ages so nice to get it sorted and via free software too. Nice.

Great, and I just figured out some stuff with it too.
Try putting the mod wheel before the zone start.
You can move your start points around in real time with your mod wheel!:)

Actually thats how i sorted out my problem to begin with, used the mod wheel to get it working then moved over to cubase automation, loving the modwheel, but im sure my neighbours are not! :rolleyes:

CarbonParlour said:
loving the modwheel, but im sure my neighbours are not! :rolleyes:

Lol, yeah, when I lived in an apartment the people downstairs were probably loving the sound of a beat being made. (all the editing, and stopping/starting, not to mention the endless looping of the same sequence as you go get a fresh cup of coffee):cheers:

Meep! Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've been reading through this and I'm none-the-wiser on how to automate the loop length in shortcircuit.

I basically want to speed up and slow down a loop without affecting the pitch. I made a sound in Massive as an example of what I'd like to do with, for example, a kick drum.

htt p:// soundcloud. com/kodamatest/massive-speed (Can't post links 'cos I haven't reached 20 posts. >_<)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as this has been bugging me for a while, now.

Back