So I bought the M-Audio Venom

skillz

At first impression when I opened the box it feel quiet sturdy, hard and solid in build. White and clean compared to my 8 year old triton.

Plugged in the usb +power, installed the software and it start working immediatley.

I played with it for a few hours, the knobs feel quiet loose, the on the left hand side, the controller knobs feel harder.

The sounds I feel are quiet unusable. They are quiet dirty, and I found myself trying to tweak them to get sound I wanted.

The keys are a bit bouncy...They felt alright. Not like my triton which is semi weighted. Probably like my micron. I'm used to playing on keys like that so it was alright.

If I was at Guitar center and some guy asked me "Yo Skillz, help me dude which one should I get, soft synths and axiom pro or a Venom.

I'd lean towards the Axiom pro.

But what would trump that is just buying a hardware synth. The Micron destroys the Venom in sound aswell. I have created multiple programs with ease plus it has 150 or so slots for your own programs. The venom has a limitation of additional programs you can save. I haven't been told else wise. Which means you have to edit what you have and write over the sounds. Thats gay. Actually....I'll read up on this and tell you guys if we can save additional sounds into board to save them in the PC environment through Vyzex.

Personally I felt sylenth has quality sounds and you'd be better off buying a M-audio Axiom pro and downloading a few soft synths. Novation V-station, Sylenth, Sytrus etc etc...

I also got the Venom to play sounds on soft synths.

Select bank D USB to HPF and that will allow you play sounds in softsynths.

In most cases when buying a VA synth I would say software is the way to go. They are both computers at the end of the day. Both digital. But the Venom has a lot more limitations than you would get from software due to software having limitless storage options. I enjoy being hands on with hardware but Virtual Analog is Virtual Analog which means both are Digital synths trying to emulate Analog synths. But one just costs a lot more money.

Back