Skooly's tips on getting a dj gig/play in a club (LONG POST)

Skool.Yard.Mafia

Beep Ahh Fresh
The first and most important thing im going to state here is probably the biggest thing for getting heard....

DONT BE AFRAID TO GET YOUR MUSIC OUT THERE!

The worst thing that can happen is "they" say "no". your not going to be known as "that crappy dj that wasnt accepted" for the rest of your life, your not going to be punished. you just look somewhere else. If they dont like how you play, thats thier problem.

Its all about letting people hear what and how you play. Mabey notice some twists or special talents in your mixes. With out any mixes or tracks or compisitions your chances of getting into a buisness is quite low. Especially if you hevent done any small local gigs yet. I will try to cover all the steps I can in the following.

#1 MOST IMPORTANT PART about getting gigs - networking. you need to go to clubs, meet and befriend promoters/bar staff/door guys/ managers. do not ask for a gig right away or else you will just be another one of the million djs looking for the easy road. let them ask you what you do. dont even talk about yourself the first few times. ask about their events, become known in the scene.

this is 1000x's more important than how well you can mix

ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH?

Some people will get their heart set on going big but will also be nervous about their music not being good enough for the general public. If your not shure whether your ready or not give soms samples to your friends or do a party here and there to show people what your like. If you mess up just play it cool and go on. Unless people are booing you off or yelling at you just play it cool. After the party is over just ask your friend how you did and see if they want you to do more parties. That a 50% chance you are good.

Another way to let yourself know if you good enough is to record a small mix and listen to it yourself in a chill, quiet room. That way all of your concentration is on the mix you are listening to and you can do a little "self-Judge" on your mix. This can be helpful to alot of people because they might want to increase their skill level in a certain area and dont really know what. Listening to your own mix can help you greatly increase your skill in djing AND increase your self esteem

RECORDING YOUR MIXES

There is a straight forward thread on recording your mixes in a thread by DJF's "Jon Avalon" here.

Id like to add. EVERYTIME you mix record it. EVERYTIME you mix. You can see how you have improved over time and practice makes perfect. Also, theres nothing wrong with having a collection of your own sets! :D

GETTING YOUR NAME OUT THERE

After you have recorded your mixes (make shure you have at least 2) onto a portable peice of storage (CD, tape, Download etc...), send them to ALL of the owners/managers at local clubs, bars, etc... as possible. Send them as far as you are willing to drive to do a show. The BIGGEST tip i can give you for getting big is sending out mixes as much as you phisically can. Its all about the important people listening to your mixes and getting interested. Remember to do your absolute best when recording mixes just to show what you can do.

ACCEPTED!

If you are accepted, which i hope you are, dont try to get ALL of the possible gigs. You still need to have time for a normal ife. If this isnt going to be your day job try to avoid interfering with your real job as much as possible. Remember: You may be excited to have a newcarreer as a dj but you also have another life outside of that. Stick to your normal schedual as much as possible. You still want to get plenty of gigs in. im not telling you not to. Just try to keep with the important stuff. If you have free time try to use some of that for djing and some for hanging out with friends or something.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

If you are accepted by whoever you are trying to impress make shure you give it your all on the first impression. "First impressions are everything", many people will say. This is often true. Dress as nicely as possible, clen yourself up, have a great breakfast and go out there happy and awake. If there is any important info you might need to bring along (resume, personal info etc..) bring it ALL. Everything you may need for a "Greaat first impression".

KEEPING UP THE GOOD WORK

You got into a great place, you have plaenty of new friends and you love what you do. Now, DONT GET LAZY! you have followed your dream and made it big. teh last thing you want is to end up a snobby, cranky, tired jerk. Its about the music, not the money or how big your.....house is. Dont forget about that dream you ahd as a youngin' and keep djing as hard as you were just entering the "pro" game.

Now, lets go through the steps of becoming big.

1.Get to know people
2.Do you need more practise?
3.Record your mixes!
4.Distribute your best work
5.You got in! Now dont forget about your non-dj life
6.Great impressions to the boss
7.keep up the good work!

Now i hope this help answer all of your "Getting Big" woes and questions. Keep up happyness and you could make it big. Thank you for reading fellow DJFers!

Until Next time, this is Skooly!

xyxthumbs.gif

Last edited:
Good post. Definitely record your mixes and listen back - it'll show up deficencies you werent aware of.

And don't play put until you are 100% ready - if a promoter hears you and your not spot on, chances are they wont bother listening again.

I'd like to add that getting a job, any job, in a club can help you bigtime. When I worked at a club, the owners were always coked out/drunk so they never gave a **** if you went and tried to mix. The busboys could go mix, and as long as it sounded good... no one would even look in the direction of the DJ booth.

You never know when you'll get a huge break

I may be one of the very few, but I got extremely lucky back in 2004 when I was discovered by the owner of Club Paris in Orlando (Paris Hilton's nightclub). I was DJ'ing a car show in downtown Orlando and he happened to be walking by and came up and said "will you DJ my nightclub and do you have a CD?" The club was being renovated and he gave me the tour, I made him a CD that night, and got the job. I ended up being there for a year and a half with a salary!

I got the car show gig from a promoter that discovered me at a night club. I got that nightclub gig from being at another nightclub.

So keep in mind that every gig you do can lead to a new gig, and possibly a big one at that. Thought I'd pass on my 2 cent on this forum since I like to see others succeed.

Most definitely ! I agree with everything you posted. Thats all a Dj needs to know prior to getting into the game ! I am still learning & making progress toward getting a gig & I've gotten one rejection so far, but I keep it moving. I got a rejection from a Club Dj I spoke to about how to get gigs & get into the game, and he told me to send him a demo. I sent him the demo & he never said anything back, not even an opinion, nothing. I just took it as a "not perfect" opinion & just kept it moving. Im currently working on Demos & I know I've improved a looooooooot !!! I almost there ! :victory:

All good tips on 'ere..

But i'd like to add...KNOW your tunes inside out, so you can have alternative mixes each time...keeping it fresh!!

My best addition to this would be - Start your own stuff. Organize a group of djs and start a weekly. Nothing can get you more local recognition than a successful weekly event. There's plenty of bars that would be willing to have people come and set up their own sound/equipment, I'm sure. Get a crowd and bring in guests. Having people play at your events likely leads to you playing at theirs. And then the cycle continues.

Back