Signs that a microphone has gone bad?

Hey everyone
I've been using an Mbox 2 along with a Groove Tube GT 66 microphone for about 6 years now. I've had a great experience with it - great sound quality! We recorded a song about 2 weeks ago and everything seemed to be normal - the recording was quality and everything seemed fine. Since that last recording 2 weeks ago, I've tried recording again and I seem to find that every vocal recording sounds like it has a ton of reverb added to it. I'm not sure if this is because there were settings changed on the MBox? Maybe the settings on the actual microphone? I'm just at a loss with what to do as I've tried a few different things. Do microphones tend to start sounding roomier as if reverb has been added once their time is up? Like I said - I've been using it for 6 plus years now and it may just be time to pick up a new one. I would hate to grab a new mic though if this was a simple fix such as switching a setting on the actual mic or on the Mbox 2. Thanks for any input/help - much appreciated.
Mike
Thawed Out Productions

I think the best way to tell if a mic is bad is that everything played/sung through it sounds like poo! haha. In which case it's now perfect for electronic music! =P

No clips?

I think I know what is happening here, it sounds like your mic input is inadvertently passing through the Mbox's onboard fx reverb. Did you try going into the Mbox control panel and seeing if your software returns are turned up sending reverb through your one of your xlr inputs the mic is connected to?

Back