Set-Up Improvements? // Intermediate (focused on hardware)

Grape

Aspiring Producer
Hi all,

My aim is to build/improve on my set-up, which is currently based in my bedroom, (not acoustically treated). I'm primarily focused on producing Electronic music, and I enjoy using VST's.

I'm mainly looking to build upon the hardware I currently have, even though my knowledge is very intermediate, I'm hoping to make the best out of what I have.

I'm inspired mainly by producers such as Four Tet, FlyLo, Deadmau5 and many artists on the Brainfeeder label. I like experimenting with the electronic genre, and blending sounds especially from other cultures/genres.

I'm looking at spending a rough estimate of £500 - £1200.

My set-up currently consists of;

Speakers: Cakewalk MA-15D Powered Micro Stereo Monitors (pair) - I don't own any headphones for production.

Mixer/Controller: Allen & Heath XONE: DX (which I use for it's built in soundcard currently)

Keyboard: Novation LaunchKey 61

DAW: Logic Pro X (main) / Ableton Live

Plugins: Massive / FM8 / Circle

Other than this I use no actual audio interface (apart from the A&H controller with built-in ), and no actual pre-amp.

I've used hardware such as the MPC 1000, however I didn't enjoy the functionality, and the limits of it's use digitally, as it is a drum-machine.

However I am interested in things like analog-synths (out of my price-range for anything good), and controllers/keyboards that offer more functions as hardware. I have no experience with hardware synths and as the price range is high I feel it's more suitable to stick with VST's for now?

In regards to my room it's an l shape with my studio in the corner so it is obviously not designed to be a studio, although I'm sure treatment is a reccomendation to achieve a more professional sound, however I believe it isn't a priority when I can build my studio.

Any advice is welcome, please don't be too harsh,

Thanks!

Last edited:
What kind of money are you looking to spend? If you want a(n analog) synth, there hasn't really been a better time to get one, as there's a lot of stuff to choose from - some of which are surprisingly affordable, especially if you take the 2nd hand market into account.

What kind of money are you looking to spend? If you want a(n analog) synth, there hasn't really been a better time to get one, as there's a lot of stuff to choose from - some of which are surprisingly affordable, especially if you take the 2nd hand market into account.

A rough estimate would be £500 - £1200 on all improvements.

Last edited:
Maschine Mikro, LaunchPad and something with lots of knobs on it (Behringer BCR maybe?) should/could all come in around that budget.

Back