Sequence of processes when creating a track?

dizkojockey

Hi guys. I'm interested to know in what order you do things when creating a track in your DAW. I'm using FL Studio 11 and am just wanting to know the best way to do things as obviously there is a lot to do when creating a track from start to finish. How do you stay organised, also? I've purchased a couple of the MyLoops templates and the projects (by ReOrder and Static Blue) seem very well organised, colour coded and everything. Also is arranging everything in the playlist something you do at the very end once you have all your patterns/FX completed? A few questions here but if anyone could offer some good advice or pointers I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Good questions. I use FL 11 too. To save a bunch of time, I start off with a custom-made template that has a lot of my synths and drums already routed to the mixer with sidechains, etc. But I'll describe what I would do (also what I used to do) without using a template. Might as well get really detailed lol.

1) I always start with synths. Just a habit I guess, lot of people start with drums. I'll drop in a few instances of Sytrus (or whatever else) and start making some kind of pattern in the sequencer. Then I'll start adding a few drums (kick, hats, etc) to that pattern as well. If it sounds half decent, I'll split everything so each sound ends up in its own pattern. Now, I'll drag and drop these patterns to the playlist. Just building the frame of the track.

2) I'll go route every single sound to the mixer in its own channel. I process every single drum separately, as well as synths. Also, since I do house music, I sidechain a majority of the time. I usually insert 3 more kick drums and use them to drive the sidechain. I route them to the mixer and use the peak controller on each one (all three are muted), then link the send track faders to the peak controller. Now I'll have three send tracks whose volumes are being sidechained against the muted kicks. At this point, I can pick and choose which of my synths get routed to whichever send track. (Gives flexibility so I can sidechain certain synths harder or less than others).

3) With all that set up, I'll work on the track some more. I keep percussive elements at the top of the playlist and synths underneath. Also, this is when I'll start dropping in a bunch of automation clips for EQs, delays, etc. All automation clips go under the respective sound that they're altering in the playlist. (If I'm automating the reverb on a synth, I'll just put that auto clip under that synth pattern).

As I'm building further, I'll keep things organized that way. In the end, my playlist looks like a giant wall of alternating patterns and automation clips. It's cool cuz this way, I don't have to waste time trying to figure out what things are doing; I can already tell.

That's about it... if you start organized, you'll finish organized. I set up my template to color coordinate groups of sounds, but if I ever add any more, I don't really worry too much about the colors. Most annoying part is probably naming patterns. Other than that, it's simple enough and organization just saves a crap ton of time.

i dont really have a set method of producing, sometimes i might start with a melody or synth and create something from that. other times i could be trying to design a sound on a vst or slicing up vocals and suddenly get an idea. varies from track to track for me.. however i usually try to get the intro and chorus done first then copy paste the arrangement and work with that.

Yea I change up my process everytime too. Usually start with sequenced drums, but I'll also start with a synth/melody line or some keys or maybe a breakbeat or other sample.

I do try to use pre-setup templates when i'm producing in Reason. Once I've got the first element laid out (whatever it is - drums, melody, bass - whatever) I'll just keep building on it.

Just keep in mind the basic parts of most music - rhythm section (drums, guitars, bass, etc.), lead melody section (synths, keys, guitars, etc), harmony/accompaniment sections (other instruments/sounds, pads, etc), some sprinkles of sounds to add diversity, etc.

Whatever you start with, just keep building out the other parts on top of it. Then when you've got a full loop that sounds good, start arranging it into different sections (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc.) You can color code your stuff however you want (color code by arrangement or by instrument sections) to stay organized when looking at everything. I need to get better at doing that to my projects.

At this point I'll listen to the track as a whole and go back over different sections, change out sounds you don't like, add other ones, introduce drops and other change-ups, sound effects + other ear candy.

After I've got the whole thing arranged and I like where it is as a full composition I'll get into the mixing and mastering of the track. Just my basic process

Back