Selling my first beat - HELP

Hi all,

So i'm new to this. I have made a few beats and have been learning alot and loving it. I currently do not have a website, but have social media account. I have received a really good following and i have been speaking with one of my followers who wants to buy a beat ( I uploaded a snippet online ) for a very nice amount of money! Im not too sure what to do now? I have been doing alot of research online but still confused. I gather i need to send him a contract to sign, any examples of contracts?
Do i actually need to send a physical copy? He is in the US im in the UK, would it not be slow and expensive sending contracts oversees over and over?
Should i email the beat to him, or send a physical copy?
The beat contains an uncleared sample (Not very recognizable). But I have read thats ok aslong as i state in the contract that sample clearance must be dealt with by the artist?
And what to do about publishing/royalties? He is an underground rapper, very unlikely the track is going to blow up.
Payment will be done through paypal, do i give a receipt? How?

Any help guys?

Last edited:
Hi mate. You can use something like this. Exclusive License / Contract Generator / SendBeatsTo

but be sure to read the final contract and adjust what is necessary.

A simple email will do but it will need to be signed.

Paypal gives your customers a receipt automatically in customers transaction record.

Emailing the the beat (wav) is fine. Unless he wants and pays for trackouts then you usually put them in a zip file as it saves space.

Thanks man really appreciate it.
Probably a very silly question.. But how would i get him to sign it if its sent via email? Would it be a good idea to use a 'e-sign' service, like Adobe Sign?
And should i state in the contract that the sample is uncleared and is responsibility of the artist? Not a massive sample, not recognizable, etc

appreciate it

Last edited:
Yeah an e sign service is definitely more convenient.

Ive even seen iPhone apps where you can sign on screen and send.

The contract generator above mentions within it about any samples needing clearance Is responsibility of artist.

But it yes it's good to mention that otherwise it might bite you in the future.

Quick question mate. I was filling out that contract you gave me, there is a section where i must fill in the artists address, I dont know the guy or his address. Do you just straight up ask him what his address is? Is this the contract that you use? Thanks again

well at the end of the day a contract is a negotiation where both parties agree to abide by the terms and conditions set out in the contract.

Under contract law, a contract is a private agreement.
The terms and conditions can be whatever you choose to agree on.

Professional business is professional business.

also keep in mind that if this person has a sinister agenda plans to rip you off etc.. it would be devastating to find out that lil ripoff artist can roam free without accountability because you made a mistake on the contract. This is why many producers and artists hire lawyers to do this awkward work for them.

You don't need to ask for his home address, all you need to ask for is a mailing address for the exclusive contract purposes. That's a professional way to go about it.

if he refuses then it could mean he's not serious in the deal.

although it depends if you trust the person for some reason you may agree to put his email address there or some other form of contact etc.. It's up to you in that department.

In other industries usually they use both digital and mailing form of contracts, certificates, etc..

Be wise though.

Last edited:
Back