Screwing artists that wont release your music... Have you done it?

gescajadillo

So I tried working with an unsigned rapper, sent him a beat sample of what I've done, told him to write to it. Still hasnt finished it and does not bother to keep you updated. Look at his page, no mixtape info or nothing.
Another indie signed artist contacts you. You give him the beat and tell unsigned rapper he can't use it. Am I wrong for doing this? I still have the copyrighted protection and he did no effort to put out the material.

I don't think that's wrong, especially if no money was exchanged, and no contract was signed. I wouldn't do this if someone paid to lease or buy the beat... If they don't use it, it's their problem.

But I can relate to your frustration. It's tough if the people you collab with don't carry the same work ethic you do. You're going hard at this stuff 7 days a week, but the other guy is half-assing. That just doesn't cut it if you want to do something for real.

Not at all sir. You are not wrong.

I remember an interview with DJ Toomp talking about how he handed out that "What You Know" beat to about 4 different artists (including 8Ball & MJG) and they just sat on it.

Procrastination. . .

Just wanted to give some praise to the OP for writing "copyrighted"...
And you are absolutely not wrong.

hopefully the artist you screwed doesnt come back and try to kill you or something.

hopefully the artist you screwed doesnt come back and try to kill you or something.

The artist screwed himself. Produce work or perish. Personally I don't let noone sit on anything, we develop the track, sign the split sheet and create the master in the same day. No fluffy, artisy, hippie moments here.

Back