Scratching vocals in beats.

36 chamber music

I don't know much about turntables/scratching but I'm curious about a few things...

I am planning on getting a Stanton str8 150 sometime in the near future (when I'm not broke) along with an American audio mixer.

My main question is how do producers scratch rappers voices in the hooks of their songs, cuz most likely they do not have all those vinyls to be finding the dope lyrics to be scratching. Are they simply recording their scratches in sereto (mp3 scratches)? And if so can you use a direct drive vinyl turntable to scratch in an mp3 scratcher like sereto?

Prolly a dumb question but idk...u most likely have to have a mp3 turntable currect? Unless u own the vinyl your looking to scratch of course...

answer to your first question is no :) ---True turntablists are known digging junkies! That means they collect vinyl and hoard it. If you haven't heard that voice on the lyric before, it's because it's probably from some 70's record dusted off and layed down. Yes is the answer to your second question. Serato, samples, MP3s, CDs... and the answer to your third question is yes, you can scratch an MP3 w/ a direct drive TT & software like Serato, Traktor, or Torq.
No you don't need a USB TT, the hardware hookups for the above listed software will do all of the transfering of audio for you.

My main question is how do producers scratch rappers voices in the hooks of their songs, cuz most likely they do not have all those vinyls to be finding the dope lyrics to be scratching.

Back in the day, they would record the vocal track and have it pressed to acetate. Then they would scratch the vocal track over the rest of the track.

Are they simply recording their scratches in sereto (mp3 scratches)?

That's probably how they do it these days.

thanks guys!!!

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

so im assuming serato just comes with a vinyl to scratch your mp3's with if your using a direct drive tt?

Last edited:
Back