scratching on beats

DaveBeatz

wanna get into scratching onto some beats, but what should i go for?

if i buy a direct drive turntable, then i can only scratch vinyl.

if i get a cdj thing i can put samples on disc and scratch (is scratching on cds any good?)

or a midi controller that can control FL scratcher or similar interface.

whats your opinions?

well it mainly depends on what kind of music your doing but if your scratching hip hop ie. premo/dilla i would suggest getting a turntable... it will also open sampling from records to you which should be a must!

well it mainly depends on what kind of music your doing but if your scratching hip hop ie. premo/dilla i would suggest getting a turntable... it will also open sampling from records to you which should be a must!

am going to get a turntable eventually anyway. got some belt drives but they are at my friends house, when i get an mpc ill be buying more vinyls.

but with vinyl your limited to scratching only what you can find on vinyl, with midi or cd you can scratch basically anything, am i right?

the scratches on cd/midi are much less authentic sounding and you will have more than enough options when it comes to finding things to scratch on vinyl...

don't even bother wasting time scratching with cdj's man. you can't substitute for the real thing, get a 2nd hand technics or even a numark, brand new they are pretty cheap and good quality.

I agree with Renaissance...You can't go wrong with turntables (provided that they are quality and have good torque, i.e. 1200s). you can scratch whatever the hell you want to scratch with turntables, once you link it to Serato...Serato may be the greatest invention since pants with pockets - SERIOUSLY.

NO Technics! The company fell off. You guys do realize that they don't even sell the classic 1200s anymore, right? The cheapest deck they have is $750.

Go Vestax.

wanna get into scratching onto some beats, but what should i go for?

if i buy a direct drive turntable, then i can only scratch vinyl.

if i get a cdj thing i can put samples on disc and scratch (is scratching on cds any good?)

or a midi controller that can control FL scratcher or similar interface.

whats your opinions?

The pioneer cdjs have nice scratch sounds. I haven't played with other ones. It's a different feel though, but you can do some cool things with cue's/loops/fx/retrigger or whatever. EDIT: A plus is that you can scratch your own productions.

I'd say get a turntable if you don't already have one. Someone said techs are expensive...well, new, yes they are. BUT you can get older ones that work just fine. Techs are pretty easy to fix, too. And they last a long time with a pretty good resale value.

Last edited:
NO Technics! The company fell off. You guys do realize that they don't even sell the classic 1200s anymore, right? The cheapest deck they have is $750.

Go Vestax.

yes.... i suggest vestax too..... i have the vestax pdx 2000s, love em :)

well when i bought them about 5 years ago they cost me £650 (i dont know the conversion to USD) brand new for the pair without a mixer.

but im sure u could find them much cheaper now

Go Vestax.

huh? you can still get 1200 for about mid $400's. and honestly the company that fell off was Vestax. I owned a 05pro, 06, and a 07. It was hard but then I went Rane. Ever since I went with Rane, vestax just slipped its way into nothing...I still love the company but when you talked about the best scratch mixers 9-10 years ago only 1 company came to mind...not anymore

Technics bro !! The way to go with scratching & pretty much everything else when it comes to record spinnin !! Forget about CD players. Waste of money. Im speaking from experience bro !

Get techs, and learn how to scratch on them. You can still find them used for about 300 each. Get them quick though cause the value is rising due to them not being manufactured anymore. If you realize you want to get further into dj'ing then go with Serato. Tech1200's hands down. I bought mine brand new back in 01 and i've used and abused them every single day since then, dj'ed at least 300 events with them, traveled across the U.S and into other countries with them and have not had a single issue after all I put them through. These things are over engineered, and that's a good thing for turntablist. Many companies try but no other turntable can come close.

LIke I said. You can still find them used for around 350$ and replacement parts for them are all over the internet. Ive used the Vestax and they are ok. I rather use the industry standard though.

Back