Scoring Afghani fishing feature

Giannis

I've been in touch with this filmmaker who is going to Afghanistan to record a film featuring fishing in Afghanistan. I've done music for films previously but never anyone with a foreign ethnical content like this one...

What I need is some samples of Afghani instruments or some sounds remnicent of Afghanistan to create the right vibe. Iäve done some research on the instruments used there and I came up with the following list:

Tabla
Harmonya
Rabab
Tanbour
Chang
Sarang
Dilruba
Tula
Setar

Could there be any sample discs containing any of these sounds? Is anyone familiar with the type of music the have in Afghanistan?

What I intend to do is a score which has modern sounds mixed with elements from Afghanistan, I just find it difficult to find these elements.

Could anyone help me out?

Im not sure...but i think that Miroslav Vitous has a CD with ethenic samples...Try tu search for it on Emule or *****. Those CDs are really hard to find because Miroslavitous Samples are really precious, and really expensive too. ;)

Thanks for the tip mate. I will check it out. I only got a few weeks more before I'm to deliver the music and I really feel that this project is something really on the far side of the type of music making I'm usually into.

Thanks...

Anyone else with any advice on how to make things sound Afghani?

Thank you for the suggestion, mate. I'll take a look at it. I only have a few weeks before I have to deliver the music, and I have a feeling that this project will be very different from what I usually do with music. Does anyone else have any suggestions for making things sound Afghani? fishingverge

Well first of all, it is very interesting that a person from the western hemisphere tries to create oriental music, mad props for that! Second: Afghan music is different from that of the arab world because it has a different rhythm. Its not 4/4 its 6/8 or 3/4.
Third: there are different styles of music like pop, party music, tribal, folk, classic and you have ATAN which is a pre-islamic traditional war music but its pretty standart on every occasion to this day. Each style has its own characteristics. Harmonia is used in afghan classic music with very much drama. Setar is a very powerful classic music element which is strongly influenced by the indian culture but its too much of a drama.
When you ask me you have to go with traditional rubab music, its perfect for movies and documentaries. You have to have TABLA for the rhythm and the RUBAB which is kinda like a guitar.
Here is an example of how it sounds: Notice the rhythm of the TABLA!

I just watched the video and I think its still very complex. How long do you want your project to be?
Afghan music has a certain pattern of melodies!
Here is another example of traditional Rubab music. This version is more "party".

Good luck with your project and let us know when its finished. If you have any questions (maybe you can pre-upload something that you created and I will tell you if it sounds afghan ;-))

Last edited:
Back