Sampling complex Jazz Tunes

Wassup Community,

Unfortunatley I figured out that sampling complex jazz tunes, especially with a piano and abrupt switching drum patterns in it, is pretty hard to sample for me.

Ive got a lot of hot tunes in my folders, but I just dont know what to do with it. Where to start and where to end (mainly where to end lol) and I just cant eq the off beat drums fully out.

Any good advices? Tutorials?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This might not be helpful to you but just sample it how you want it.
I'm not sure how to explain it but you can sample the song in your head first then do it on software, for instance if you hear a song you like you could tell how it would sounds with effects on them.

like... that brickhouse song.everybody can tell how that song would sound with reverb on it.or stutters.or flangers and chorus effects.

Learn to timestretch properly and chop small.
Sometimes the project might call for you to match the Tsig as well (3/4).
Practice a lot because it won't just happen overnight.

Peace

I love sampling complex jazz tunes. The most important thing is to count bars. Try to find the first beat and count on from there until you hear or feel the next One come. For loops just cut from one to one and for chops to flip cut every bar (One, Two, Three, Four) or even 8th chops (One-And-Two-And-Three-And-Four-And). If you don't know what i mean then hit me up in a message.

If i can't find the one easily i mostly listen to the bassline. Most of the time even if the piano's alto's drums and everything is freaking the bass dude is fairly steady and repetitive. If he's not repeating every 4 bars then maybe every 8 or even 16. but eventually you will find a reocurring pattern. If you see for example he repeats his structure every 8 bars then first chop every 8 bars. then cut the 8 bars in loops of 4 then chops of one bar and further if you want.

Btw a lot of Bossa Nova Rhythms are played in (3/4) beauty of that is you can keep it 3/4 and
mix it with a 4/4 drum pattern. Eventually it will balance out like
1 - 2 - 3 - (4) - 1 - 2 - 3 - (4) - 1 - 2 - 3 - (4) - 1...
1 - 2 - (3) - 1 - 2 - (3) - 1 - 2 - (3) - 1 - 2 - (3) - 1...

I hope this was helpfull

Back