Sampling and DJing

G

For those that sample using record players/turntables, do you know how to scratch or have learned to do it by messing with vinyl? Not the greatest but if you wanted to add the scratching fx to a song you could.

I dabble a bit with it for fun and have done some small scratches on our beat tapes. Haven't put a lot of time into practising so it's not like I'm doing two click flare orbits or anything.
My impression is that plenty of the people who sample from records here seem to have a setup that is not suitable for scratching. But if you have one and put some time to learning, you will get it. It's a skill that needs practice, just like any instrument.

Last edited:
Alright cool, yea certain turntables arent ment for scratching and watnot. Practice makes purpose, do you use a preamp for your playeR?

Dj-mixers have a built in preamp. You will need one of those if you are planning to scratch. You cut the sound with the mixer's crossfader.

yea I know, im talking about a reg. old school record player.

Regular old school record player as in what? A belt drive hifi turntable?
I use Technics sl1-210 mk2's.

Just to make sure as there are people who get confused with dj-setups:
For scratching you will need:
-a turntable (or two), needs to be direct drive. Technics 1200's, Vestax PDX2000's, Numark TTX..
-a dj-mixer, preferably a battle mixer that's made for scratching. Rane TTM 56, Ecler HAK's, Vestax PMC's..

Turntables RCA cables and ground wires are connected to the mixer. The Mixer has a phono preamp. You hook up the system to your speakers/record from mixers audio outputs.

I know the setup for turntables and watnot. I personally have an old school player with rca out. I assume its belt driven, because when i lift the actual head to sit on the record the player starts to spin. But its old.

Sounds like a hifi player, usually they are belt driven. Perfectly suitable for listening and sampling, but not for scratching.

Aite dope, what about a preamp, are you familiar with that? Guy at GC told me I needed one.

I actually started off scratching and DJing before I really started making beats, someday I'll use that to my advantage haha.

I have a pair of Numark TTX's, the Sure needles probably aren't the best for sampling, but oh well.

I have a pair of Numark TTX's, the Sure needles probably aren't the best for sampling, but oh well.
You're rocking the m44-7's? I got both 44-7's and 44g's. The highs on 44-7 are definitely a bit harsh when compared to 44g, but they track a bit better.
I'm using the 44g's mostly since they sound a bit better and don't wear out the records as much since you don't need to apply as much needle weight with them.

The 44-7 and 44g needles and cartridges are interchangeable, so you could get one n44g and put it in your 44-7's cart when sampling if you want a bit clearer sound.

Cool, preciate the help. I didnt know if the preamp mattered much, i had looked them up on amazon. some $20 some $80 ya know.

Back