sampler story !!

B

blood of a sampler

Okay I was interested in buying an akai s900 sampler an I set everything up . I was going to met the guy at his studio and when I got to his spot to purchase the sampler I was so happy i thought to myself im gonna give the guy the money and im out ,well what happen was he asked if i wanted to turn it on but i was thinkin it should work , well what you know he turns it on the light turn on and the he put in the flooppy os disk and guess what , the peice of ish shuts off and we tried to turn it on an after that but it just wouldnt turn on an the floppy was maken a werid clanky sound none of the lights turned on i was so dissapointed but in thee end luckly he mentioned to try it damn that goes with out a doubt next time that be the first thing i ask if I use it may i try the functions b4 you by because otherrwise youll just get suckered like on ebay , so at thee end the guy told me to call em back next week for an s1000 but now im on the hunt for a classic sampler maybe a mpc 2000 .or s950 comes buy im on it ..

Last edited by a moderator:
u shoulda asked if he would sell it to u for a quater of the price or sumthing, get it fixed or even fix it yourself, might of ended up getting a bargain

S series samplers are expensive to fix hes better off finding another one. I saw some on Ebay last year for $75

yeah what xABITION hadd mentioned it was going to be a hassel fixin it , well i have my sights set on a mpc 2000 so i dont have to deal with a rack unit . ya feel but dont get me wrong if i see another for cheap 12 bit sampler i'll snatch it up ..

If you want a cheap 12 bit sampler grab an EPS or a W30 both can be found for under $200 easily and they arent racks. I love my S3000 but I don't think having a rack mount sampler is worth while if u do a ton of sampling. If you are mostly a keyboard producer who uses a few sampled elements every so often I can see it useable

yeah i know what you mean . rack mounts is more work and more patience and the workflow is compromising but the 12 bit is nice but not worth the hassel if its a rack , im leaning towards the sound of a mpc but its more likely going to me a 2000 even thou its 16 bit i just going for the mindset of a mpc 2000 not supd up just as is to get more creative..

my reasoning was because the racks tend to be a lot more limited than their keyboard counterparts. My S3000 has a great workflow especially compared to my mpc 2000 but not having a sequencer or pads or keys or anything to trigger the sounds outside of a midi controller just took up more space than I wanted it to. For me the mpc is easier because its all in one package.

The S900/S950 are getting old and will sometimes need to have things such as capacitors replaced.

An Akai rack such as the S3000 has one advantage over something like an MPC2000, and that is the way it works with a computer via SCSI.

Back