Roland SH101 and MIDI

D

db005b2689

Can anyone tell me how I get my 101 connected up so I use midi. I've only just bought it and it seems to have no midi in or out so how do I get this working with midi or how do I connect it up to work with a sequencer. I've got a midiman 8x8 and working with Logic 6, cheers.

The SH-101 does not have MIDI. It's meant to be played.

You know, with your fingers.

But...

It does have Control Voltage ("CV") and Gate inputs, which were the precursors to MIDI. Control Voltage ("CV") is used to control pitch, while Gate is used to turn notes on/off.

You could always get an old Novation Bass Station, as those boxes had a Midi->CV/Gate converter. You'll also get the sounds of the BassStation as an added bonus.

Alternately, you could look at a company like Kenton, who supply MIDI-retrofit kits for analog synths. You'll have to get somebody who knows what they're doing to install it, though.

-Hoax

You could always get an old Novation Bass Station, as those boxes had a Midi->CV/Gate converter. You'll also get the sounds of the BassStation as an added bonus.

Exactly. That's the only reason why i've kept my bass station rack and didnt sell it after getting my virus c. If one day i'd have the opportunity to get an old analog synth without any midi ports, then i'd use it as a CV/Gate converter.

Last edited:
you bought an SH101 and didn´t know this was cv/gate and no pre-midi ?
hmmm... what can I say ....
check www.vintagesynth.com before buying. that might help in the future.

also, Hoax is right, getting a bassstation is a good and cheap way to get your problem solved, and even gives you another little synth extra.
On vintagesynth, there are a few examples of how to get your synths lined up combining midi with cv/gate and so...

Back