Rly need interface, but don't fully understand. Please help

kos277

▲Astral Onix▲
Exporting is a done completely in the digital domain.
Converters play no role.
(from another thread about exporting quality)

Yesss, this is exactly what always confuses me!
I've been making beats for a loong time, and i'm constantly having thoughts about buying a soundcard/interface (and monitors, but thats irrelevant right now); but never cease to understand how it works in the sense of exporting the final track/beat/song...

I work in fl studio 10 with asio4all, and when exporting the final product, the overall sound is not the same as it was when i made it. (I've figured out that it's because exporting, is automatically done using the built-in soundcard)
This has been bugging me alot, because i'm so perfectionist when I'm doing all the work firsthand, and it's annoying to have something like this mess with final outcome..

The way i've been "fixing" this, since i found out, has been to put an eq on my master channel before exporting, listening how it sounds on the built-in soundcard (compared to sound on asio4all, without master eq) and shaping it to the original sound
- this however, shouldn't be good for the overall dynamics, i believe.

Ultimately, my idea is somewhat:
that it's normal to work stricktly on a soundcard (preferebly usb 2.0 or firewire), and thus have no latency problems or lack in soundquality, and finally be able to export without any difference in sound.
Then it's only a matter of getting some good studio monitors too, and things should be good from here. :-)victory:?)

Please help me on this if you have any input, because i really feel it's blocking me, as you can see from this ranting post.. + this is not even all of my lack of understanding regarding interfaces (midi latency, )but it's a start. Pleease bear with me fp fam, i need you on this

Last edited:
It's probably your export settings in FL. An interface would be useful, but not for the problem you described. You should be able to get a track to sound the same in FL as in Itunes after you bounce it, even with asio4all.

How would putting an EQ on your master before you bounce solve the problem you're having either? I really don't get it.

exportsetting.JPG Here's a pic of my export settings.. They've always been set like that, by myself and how i believed was right. It would be great if the problem was this simple, but i doubt it?

Seems you don't fully understand what i mean by "the overall sound is not the same as it was when i made it" ?
Maybe it is not everybody that experiences this problem, but basically the output sound is different using asio4all compared to built-in windows soundcard. -That's why i (need to) put an eq on the master channel before exporting, to make it sound almost the same as when i made the whole beat using asio. Hopefully that makes more sense..

Last edited:
Yess yess ****ing yesss!!! I figured out the problem!! It was my speaker properties, that had 'rock eq' enabled under enhancements..

I just double checked, after disabling, and now there is really no difference when switching between asio and built in soundcard! SO stupid, it's been like this for years, GOD.. I can't express how damn happy i am now that this problem is fixed. Haha im like :berzerk:

Maan..

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

Thanks pfeezing btw man.. The way you responded, made me check other stuff i hadn't considered, so that's how i actually found it. Grateful to you man, haha... I can hear better how my tracks sound now, and it's like I've been decieved the whole time.. Gotta re-export all my tracks now, without that damn substitute eq on the master, and then they should sound right again!

yesssss Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day (HD) - YouTube

No problem dude, glad you figured it out. I definitely did understand what you meant but it was puzzling for me because it should sound EXACTLY the same whether you're using asio4all or asio.

EQ on commercial grade speakers is the enemy of a good mix also so glad you found out where you can turn it off :P

I guess the other point I was trying to make (this is still 100% true and valid) that if you're making changes in your DAW to get it to sound like the EQ settings in itunes or your speakers lets say, you still are going to have it sound different because it will be adding the "effect" (in this case, the eq curve) twice and still sound different.

Last edited:
Back